Classic Mult-Wahkeena Loop (April 8)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Classic Mult-Wahkeena Loop (April 8)

Post by Splintercat » April 8th, 2013, 10:15 pm

It's that time of year when I have to burn a few vacation days to avoid losing them on July 1! Today I chose the Multnomah-Wahkeena loop to see how the greenery was doing, but mostly because it would be less mobbed on the Multnomah end. The weather was wonderful -- misted a few times, but mostly just a nice, cool overcast. Lots of paper coffee and soda cups tossed along the paved section of the Multnomah trail -- I wonder of the concessions at the lodge take any responsibility for this? Much worse than it used to be, before the snack stand and coffee car -- IMHO.

Tried a semi-pano of Multnomah, based on a cool shot I'd seen over the winter... er, I'll need to try this again... :lol: ...but interesting, anyway:

Very few hikers beyond the upper falls overlook spur. Spent a good hour at Weisendanger -- just enough green to be interesting. Did some "scene management" while I was there, as there was a lot of junk in the stream... photoshopped the rest out... ;)

Increasingly using my iPhone as my pocket camera - here's a iPhone pano at Weisendanger:

"Upper Multnomah Falls" (not sure what it's called) was really roaring. I stopped to capture the scene -- especially the big trees on the far side of the canyon -- before we lose them to winter weather. This section of the canyon has really been hammered in recent years - wow!

As a parting photo... well, this was certainly sketchy! I'm reluctant to even post it, as I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to go down there... but I hadn't been there since I was in college, so was curious to see the state of the "railings"... and I would describe them as being in a magnificent state of disrepair..! :shock: I'd love to know the history of this little trail -- it's one of the strangest in the Gorge.

Not sure if it could be made safe... but it's clearly getting more traffic these days. For many years, the little spur trail was almost grown over with brush, but no more. Hmm...

Tomorrow: back to the grind! :x ...but with pleasant memories of Monday in the Gorge..! :D

-Tom :)

BrianEdwards

Re: Classic Mult-Wahkeena Loop (April 8)

Post by BrianEdwards » April 8th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Superb photos Tom. Very natural looking. Anytime I try to achieve nice greens like that, all I get is an over processed image. I see yours and I'm instantly envious
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 8th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Thanks, Brian! But I haven't really noticed that in your photos -- they look great to me! I have a fairly specific work flow with Photoshop to avoid over-saturating photos -- something we're all inclined to do, I think. The difference between drab and "just right" is very subtle, and I'm gradually overcoming a tendency to over-compensate. Might need to continue this over in the photography forum... :lol:

-Tom

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 12th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Gee... I thought for sure that last shot would get a reaction! :o Okay, so here's another from that little spur... and this is where I stopped! Creeps me out to have gaps in fences like that, and it looks like there wasn't much of a railing left until the end of the line (visible in the distance). It's the true "Necktie Falls" according to Bryan Swan, but I didn't want to see it THAT bad... :lol:

I'm fairly positive that the railing was intact that last time I was down there, but that was 30 years ago, so... all things considered, it's really looking pretty good. I'm pretty sure Guy has been down to the end... anyone else?

Tom :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 12th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Hey Tom,

Those panos are great - you really know what you are doing. Wish I had the skill - and the patience!

As for Necktie Falls - you think it's bad without the fence? try it without the fence on an icy day:

Here's Ardith on the way out to the end last Dec. 30th. I think she hasn't spoken to me since - but she did it. (She gets all whiney when walking out on ice over a cliff like that and has to be teased a little ;) )

The falls:

Of course, with the gap in the fence, you can lean out farther for the photo opp....... :shock:

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » April 12th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I was there a couple of weeks ago. The place in your picture is the only place where the railing is on the ground. Did you see the fossil in the rock on the way to your last picture Tom? I posted some pictures in the "lets see some ID" forum. Anyway...here's the picture you missed. :D
IMG_8351.JPG
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 12th, 2013, 5:45 pm

I need to find this place...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » April 12th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Splintercat wrote:I'm pretty sure Guy has been down to the end... anyone else?
Oh Tom! if you are going to go you have to go to the end! Get back down there :^)...

Image Image
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 12th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Of course, with the gap in the fence, you can lean out farther for the photo opp...
....gulp... :? :lol:

I'll check that out, Rusty - thanks!

Tom :)

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » April 18th, 2013, 9:18 am

Nice Tom! I need to give a lil re-visit to ole Necktie. Since Pokin Round is outta print I haven't "had" to revisit to keep up-to-date...but now ur pix'll give me the lil nudge that I've needed. Good on ya....scott