In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Lumpy

Re: In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Post by Lumpy » November 17th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Eric Peterson wrote: The other new thing I tried was Smartwool brand merino wool base layers, bought while
on sale at the REI winter sale! Wow, best stuff ever.
Do you know what the percentage of wool, poysester, rayon, etc. is in the fabric? I'd like to have some idea how they compare to the merino wool tops and bottoms that Costco has right now. Thanks for the info!
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 17th, 2012, 5:47 pm

I splurged and got the 100% Merino, but there has to be 5% of something for the elastic.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 17th, 2012, 5:51 pm

"I'm sorry Lumpy and Renegade. I really need to soften up a little."

Fine

"Some people are easily offended."

But then you say something else obnoxious.

But that's okay, you don't mean any offense. Normally I'de just ignore it. I just happened to choose this example. Any time anyone says something on the internet they have to have a thick skin.

Even if someone says something intentionally disrespectful, which I don't think is the case here, best to just ignore it.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 17th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:I splurged and got the 100% Merino, but there has to be 5% of something for the elastic.
OK, the Costco stuff is not 100%, I don't remember what the mix is, but I bet the 100% is nice! :mrgreen:

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » November 17th, 2012, 7:56 pm

ForestKeeper wrote::( :cry: :oops: I'm sorry Lumpy and Renegade. I really need to soften up a little. Some people are easily offended. I'm just a big, fat jerk!!! And Renegade, you can teach me a thing or two whenever you desire. I have learned that while women use both hemispheres of the brain, some guys like me are able to use only a fraction of their brains. That's why some guys talk before we think. Next time you see a big sasquatch on the trail, just give a little nudge when I'm near that 1,000 ft cliff. ;)
No worries. :) Just remember, we're all out here trying to enjoy nature...that's what it all boils down to...so when someone starts making disparaging remarks about the "kind of people who shop at x-y-z" I think it's unfair and in those cases I will respond. I'm not easily offended. Trust me. I work in an ER. You're going to have to say something to my face, in person, before I'll get truly offended.

This forum is so much kinder than the nwhikers.net forum...have you seen some of the conversations people have on there? I like it here. People are helpful and I've learned a lot from people here. I hope that continues! :)
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 17th, 2012, 8:04 pm

renegadepilgrim wrote:
This forum is so much kinder than the nwhikers.net forum...have you seen some of the conversations people have on there? I like it here. People are helpful and I've learned a lot from people here. I hope that continues! :)
Where is the "Like" button? :D

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 17th, 2012, 10:38 pm

* group hug *
:D

You all have some great ideas on finding hiking pants that work well without spending a fortune. Good thread!

And I agree regarding merino wool and Smartwool - it's just amazing. BTW I found some good deals on hiking pants and merino wool long underwear at campmor.com and cabelas.com, so you may check them out also. If you are hard to fit then Cabela's might be the place for you (they have a very wide range of sizes, and tall sizes) Campmor has a merino wool long underwear that's much cheaper than the Smartwool brand, and looks pretty good.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 17th, 2012, 11:30 pm

In my "granola" days, I always chose Merino wool. I used to get my woolers at the Danner Outlet Store on Airport Way. I did notice yesterday that Big 5 has a gigantic wooler sale. That green bandana that you see me wear as a headband is pure silk. I used to wear it when I did some cowboy stuff back before my divorce. If I shop Cabellas, how long does it take for them to ship the product to me? I'm in search of some nylon snow pants/ski pants that are 100% waterproof, yet will keep you completely warm. Which I use for hiking and for chaining up my big rig. I've gotten too fat for the ones I have now. :oops:

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 18th, 2012, 7:24 am

ForestKeeper wrote:If I shop Cabellas, how long does it take for them to ship the product to me? I'm in search of some nylon snow pants/ski pants that are 100% waterproof, yet will keep you completely warm.
Cabelas is like most other retailers in regards to shipping. You can pay more to have it shipped quicker. Right now they're offering free shipping on any orders over $99, so if you need some ammo or anything else you could take advantage of that deal. That's what I often do - I wait until they have an ammunition sale and a free shipping deal going, then combine my ammo purchase with a few other items to meet the minimum purchase.

My experience so far with pants that I've bought from Cabelas has been favorable - good prices and good quality. They have a 'bargain cave' that has some decent deals too.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 18th, 2012, 11:40 am

ForestKeeper wrote:I used to get my woolers at the Danner Outlet Store on Airport Way.
Which, BTW, has not only moved down the street to the west, but has changed from the old model. Not so much an "outlet" store as a factory store. IOW, high priced retail store with a few goodies at lower prices. There used to be a time when you could go there and find something you could use for dirt cheap. I think those days are gone unless you are looking for .mil boots that are seconds due to imperfections in the leather. :(