Coldwater Peak (St Helens) 9/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
alanecharlesworth

Coldwater Peak (St Helens) 9/11

Post by alanecharlesworth » September 15th, 2012, 5:11 am

I started at 8:42 from the Johnson Ridge Visitors Center, elevation 4180’. Hiked east along Johnson Ridge for 2.3 miles, with views across the outwash plain to St Helens, to the junction with the Truman trail, elevation 4080’ at 9:42. Then north uphill for 2.2 miles to the top of the ridge overlooking St Helens Lake, elevation 5260’, at 11:01. This area was more sheltered from the blast, and there were small trees and lots of ripe huckleberries to eat — in contrast to the devastation of Johnson Ridge. Then 1.6 miles, going down a few hundred feet and through a rock arch, then across the slope above the lake, and up a side trail to the peak, elevation 5727’, at 12:14. Mt Rainier poked its huge presence above ridges to the north. Adams was mostly hidden in smoke, and St Helens was pretty hazy too. Started down at 12:34, and took the half-mile each way side trail up Harry’s Ridge on the way back. Got down to the car at 4:13. 13.6 miles, 3350’ gain, 7.5 hours.
Attachments
1.jpg
The trail just below the summit of Coldwater Peak
2.jpg
Panorama from the summit of Coldwater Peak
3.jpg
Panorama looking toward Mt Margaret from just below the top of Harry's Ridge
4.jpg
Panorama from 1.8 miles east of the visitors center
5.JPG
Steam from the lava dome
6.jpg
The crater from near the visitors center
Coldwater Pk.gif
Topo map
Coldwater Pk.gpx.zip
Track log
(61.8 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

Peder

Re: Coldwater Peak (St Helens) 9/11

Post by Peder » September 15th, 2012, 7:43 am

One of my favorite places! I love your pictures, especially the panoramas and the picture of the new glaciers in the crater. Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

romann

Post by romann » September 15th, 2012, 11:13 am

Nice! Looks like fall colors have already started there.

Also, thanks for the numbers on distance/elevation. I thought it was no where close to 2000' elevation I've been reading about; 3000' feels much closer to what my legs were telling after doing it.

alanecharlesworth

Post by alanecharlesworth » September 15th, 2012, 1:11 pm

There were a _lot_ of huckleberries to eat along the trail near Coldwater Peak.

hlee

Post by hlee » September 15th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Ah, a very timely TR for me, as I was planning on doing this exact hike on Monday! Thanks for the info!

Nice panoramas!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

hiker russ

Post by hiker russ » September 15th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Great concise TR!

How's the view from Harrys Ridge?

Did you see any elk? What about elk bugles?

alanecharlesworth

Post by alanecharlesworth » September 15th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Yes, there were a few elk bugles, but quite far away.

Harry's Ridge is a fine viewpoint, especially because its view includes more of Spirit Lake than you otherwise get. Its only about a mile and 350' extra to do on the way to or from Coldwater peak.

Roy

Post by Roy » September 16th, 2012, 2:30 am

alanecharlesworth wrote:Yes, there were a few elk bugles, but quite far away.

Harry's Ridge is a fine viewpoint, especially because its view includes more of Spirit Lake than you otherwise get. Its only about a mile and 350' extra to do on the way to or from Coldwater peak.
My favorite to, was up there two weeks ago from the Norway pass side doing the Margie hike,those berries are huge up there we found some wild strawberries still in good shape never get over how good those are and the elk bugling amazing place.

Great tr best time to go that arch is pretty cool. Agree Harry's ridge is worth the time and devils elbow starts the hike out with a bang.

You can tell I am a big fan of this one :D
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » September 16th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Amazing pictures. Lots and lots of great tr's coming from your direction, acw. Keep em coming, im a fan :)

I also like how you always post a map of your route and the day's stats at the end of your reports, nice touch.