Red Mountain Lookout

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Red Mountain Lookout

Post by drm » May 7th, 2012, 10:32 am

This has become an annual trip for me. Red Mountain is just south of Indian Heaven. By some time in May, the roads have usually melted out enough to get within striking distance, as it could be close to 15 miles from the nearest plowed road in mid-winter. I got closer than ever this time despite being the earliest I've ever gone.

Two years ago I spent the night and had to move camp due to intense winds. Last year I did a daytrip. I decided to overnight this year and sleep on the lookout balcony, where I would be sheltered. But having a wind tunnel 10 feet away around the corner hardly makes for a night of blissful sleep. And to top it off, everything had iced over by morning, making the first part of the ski descent an ordeal until I reached softer snow.

I had a great afternoon yesterday and I have decided that this is best a daytrip.
redmtn 2012 002.jpg
Arriving
redmtn 2012 012.jpg
Camp
The Mountains
redmtn 2012 009.jpg
Mt Adams
redmtn 2012 015.JPG
Mt. Hood
redmtn 2012 016.jpg
Mt. Saint Helens
Telemark Time!
redmtn 2012 010.jpg
redmtn 2012 018.jpg

airoff

Re: Red Mountain Lookout

Post by airoff » May 7th, 2012, 11:43 am

Thanks for the TR! I'd forgotten I'd been there until I saw your pics. What a beautiful place! Did you enter from the trail head north of 4 Corners? The trail that passes through Indian Racetrack?

It looks like you can also get there by walking up a road you can access to the east of 4 Corners.

Thanks again!

drm

Post by drm » May 7th, 2012, 12:10 pm

airoff wrote:Thanks for the TR! I'd forgotten I'd been there until I saw your pics. What a beautiful place! Did you enter from the trail head north of 4 Corners? The trail that passes through Indian Racetrack?

It looks like you can also get there by walking up a road you can access to the east of 4 Corners.

Thanks again!
Yes, there is a road 1.5 miles east of Four Corners on FR 60. I could drive within a half mile of it now. Should be able to drive all the way to it by next weekend I think. High clearance trucks could probably make it all the way now. Taking the trail would not only be far further, but of course you can follow a snow-covered road much more easily.

airoff

Post by airoff » May 7th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Yeah, I hiked in from the Falls Creek Horse Camp (FR 65 I believe). Maybe it was the temperature that day or maybe I wasn't in the best shape last summer, but it seemed longer than 4 miles one way. I remember thinking when I finally arrived, "oh great, there's a road that leads right here?!" just as a couple of rangers pulled up. Regardless, the destination is beautiful, and though you can't see it with the snow, that is one red mountain!

Thanks again for reminding me!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » May 7th, 2012, 4:08 pm

I like the second shot of camp the best, drm. It reminds me of many of your past reports, finding a small snowless spot to sleep on only this time with a nice twist being on the deck :)