What are your 2012 hiking goals?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
rick6003

Re: What are your 2012 hiking goals?

Post by rick6003 » April 2nd, 2012, 2:23 pm

Guys,

Magnus's group will be setting up a 24 hour DEfIANCE this summer sometime with the NW Wilderness group. We plan on having a relief station up at the top. Thats wher I will probably give it up at ! Lol!
I might make 2 loops but I will leave it to the rest to actually do 24 Hours Defiance.

Hope we can all get together for this crazy event!

turtle

Post by turtle » April 2nd, 2012, 4:17 pm

In no particular order:
Use my snowshoes in the snow instead of letting them gather dust in the closet.
Explore Benson Plateau and the upper reaches of the Herman Creek area.
Get my butt to Wahtum Lake. I haven't managed to get there YET.
At least two snow camps; three is better.
Be in good shape at the beginning of the hiking season, not struggling to catch up all year.
Push my conditioning so I can comfortably hike 20 plus miles, full pack, back to back days.
Figure out something/somewhere great to hike with my 3 weeks vacation in September.
Base pack weight=12 lbs. 10 is better if I don't lose too much creature comfort.
Climb/hike/snowshoe St. Helens and Adams.
Improve compass and GPS skills.
Improve photography skills.
Start getting my mind, finances, and life situation right for a PCT thru in 2013 or 2014.

I've actually got a good start on this. Now I need to follow through.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

potato

Post by potato » April 2nd, 2012, 4:47 pm

Turtle, I have a lot of the same goals as you, even the 2013/2014 PCT thru-hike.

I'm excited for 24/7 Defiance :D I know I'm not going to win... my goal is going to be to keep on moving that whole time, or do at least 3 laps, whatever comes first.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 3rd, 2012, 5:37 pm

rick6003 wrote:Guys,

Magnus's group will be setting up a 24 hour DEfIANCE this summer sometime with the NW Wilderness group. We plan on having a relief station up at the top. Thats where I will probably give it up at ! Lol!
I might make 2 loops but I will leave it to the rest to actually do 24 Hours Defiance.

Rick, wow, that sounds like an awesome way to go out in style! I just might show up for that! A relief station on top would make it much better than my previous treks up there to be sure. I'm terrible when it comes to losing sleep - just can't seem to go more than about 18 hours at a time but what the heck - life is short anyway.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 3rd, 2012, 6:03 pm

rick6003 wrote:Guys,

Magnus's group will be setting up a 24 hour DEfIANCE this summer sometime with the NW Wilderness group. We plan on having a relief station up at the top. Thats wher I will probably give it up at ! Lol!

Sweet!! I'll be there for at least 1 loop!!

Have to also add to my goals something Mayhem just reminded me about and that is the
Siouxon/Horseshoe ridge figure 8 hike that we failed back in November.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 3rd, 2012, 9:02 pm

I wonder how they plan to get supplies up their for the relief station? Just have some people haul it up in packs? I'm not familiar enough with that area I guess. There are roads on the back side that people could drive up to shorten the distance a bit, right? Sounds like a fun idea! :)

At this point I'd volunteer to haul water up there, just to get out again. It's already April and I've only been able to get out on three hikes so far this year. Crusak definitely has some make-up work to do. :lol: I'm feeling rather good now, though. I've adjusted my mileage goal for 2012 to a more realistic number (300 miles) and hopefully I can start hitting the trail more regularly.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

hikingrandma

Post by hikingrandma » April 4th, 2012, 8:05 am

My hiking goals are kinda exciting for me. This is my 70th year (as of June 14th) and I've given myself a couple gifts.

First is a week in August in the Frank Church/River of no Return wilderness with the Trails Club...8 glorious days of camping & hiking. Best part is, an outfitter takes in all the heavy stuff and we hike 7-9 miles in with just our daypacks.

Then in September I leave for Spain for a pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago. I'll only do half of it..350km (220miles), walking 18 days, 20-28km/ day (12-14 miles) carrying a backpack. Now, mind you, I've never been east of Colorado or on a plane for more than 4 hours. This a big adventure for me!

For sure I"ll do lots of hiking and walking in the meantime, but those are the big ones. BTW, for all those kind enough to give me advice on cameras...I finally settled on the Canon S100. It's the right size for carrying 200+ miles and has all the manual settings I want.

Life is so good!

Patty

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 5th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Crusak wrote:I wonder how they plan to get supplies up their for the relief station? Just have some people haul it up in packs? I'm not familiar enough with that area I guess. There are roads on the back side that people could drive up to shorten the distance a bit, right? Sounds like a fun idea! :)

At this point I'd volunteer to haul water up there, just to get out again. It's already April and I've only been able to get out on three hikes so far this year. Crusak definitely has some make-up work to do. :lol: I'm feeling rather good now, though. I've adjusted my mileage goal for 2012 to a more realistic number (300 miles) and hopefully I can start hitting the trail more regularly.
A regular car can get to within about a mile and a half of the Defiance summit and with a little clearance all the way to the top. the roads are not gated. That last little bit is kinda rocky and steep but with care can be done. I've seen lots of pickups and such on top over the years when work was being done on the facilities. It's a long haul from the metro area - over two hours drive time.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » April 7th, 2012, 11:49 am

I want to explore more of Benson Plateau!

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » April 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm

My 2012 hiking goal is to only hike one trail. All 2,655 miles of the PCT! I'll start in 2 weeks. Your welcome to follow along.

http://paulspcthike.blogspot.com/
PCT class of 2012