Herman Ck to Benson Plateau via PCT (11 Jul 08)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Herman Ck to Benson Plateau via PCT (11 Jul 08)

Post by VanMarmot » July 22nd, 2008, 11:41 am

According to a PCT guide I read, many thru hikers by-pass this part of the PCT in favor of the more scenic Eagle Creek route. I guess that's OK if you're only here once, but this part of the PCT offers some good views of Mt. Adams
View to Adams.JPG
and of Nick Eaton Ridge (the Casey Creek Trail is down in the trees to the right)
View of Nick Eaton Ridge.JPG
The most notable feature on this part of the trail is Teakettle Spring
Teakettle sign.JPG
which is a seemingly reliable, if sometimes very faint, water source. With the heavy snows this year, I guess this is about as good as this spring gets.
Teakettle Spg.JPG
I always enjoy this hike because it's a good trail that climbs solidly for 3600' and also has good views. A small campsite near its junction with the 405B trail is my usual turn-around point. I was very, very disappointed this time to find a partially buried pile of trash (food boxes, a partial can of fuel, a no-stick spray can, what I hope was paper towel & not TP, etc.) at this campsite. Ended-up hauling 5 pounds of stuff back down the hill. I'm tempted to rant about this but won't out of respect for this site's rules. Hopefully this was just someone's one time mistake.

joerunner

Re: Herman Ck to Benson Plateau via PCT (11 Jul 08)

Post by joerunner » July 22nd, 2008, 12:29 pm

Usually low life, dirt bag, pond scumbags don't make it in (and up)that far in to spread their worldly possessions. I'm very much ashamed to admit that I belong to the same species as these idiots.

Was that a rant? Opps! Sorry!

Thanks for the report. Thats a great hike. Personally I like the pct route better then Eagle Creek but I prefer the sights and sounds of the trees without all the water noise but it's all good.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » July 22nd, 2008, 12:42 pm

The Herman Creek area has gotta be one of the most underrated parts of the Gorge. I much prefer Herman to Eagle. Less crowds, better views etc

Paul

Post by Paul » December 5th, 2017, 7:32 am

Coming back from Whatum, I actually prefer the PCT route over Eagle Creek. Of course, I like drier, alpine trails and views over river trails.

Thanks for the report!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » December 5th, 2017, 1:01 pm

At 9 years, 4 months, and 13 days, I think this ranks among the longest necromances of an old TR in the history of this forum. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 5th, 2017, 1:21 pm

I was wondering how someone got a trip up there with the area being closed... until I saw the date

I guess that's all we got, remember old trips. Maybe it'll be opened again this spring.