Recommendation for overnight backpacking with kids this weekend

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
trailmasterp

Recommendation for overnight backpacking with kids this weekend

Post by trailmasterp » July 19th, 2018, 10:00 am

A friend and I are planning to take our kids (ages 5 and 7) for an overnight backpacking trip this weekend. Both kids have done this before, but short legs only go so far. We will be leaving from Portland and trying to minimize time in the car. We've been looking at Elk Meadows or Twin Lakes on Mt. Hood; does anyone know about the current conditions (bugs, snow, trails) there? We also are looking for other suggestions. It's supposed to be hot, so shade and some water for keeping the kids cool would be ideal. Thanks!

Jaimeapois

Re: Recommendation for overnight backpacking with kids this weekend

Post by Jaimeapois » July 20th, 2018, 6:07 pm

I don’t know about current conditions though I’ve heard the mosquitos/bugs are bad right now on Mt Hood. I backpacked to Twin Lakes a few years back and it’s on an easy, wide trail covered in pine needles and shaded by the forest. I would be surprised if there was snow there this late.

trailmasterp

Re: Recommendation for overnight backpacking with kids this weekend

Post by trailmasterp » July 24th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Thanks! We ended up going to Elk Meadows Saturday-Sunday and it was great. The meadows were beautiful and the kids had fun. They also did very well on the trail, including the Newton crossing. Flies were out during the day and the mosquitoes came out in the late evening, but they weren't too bad.