Silver Star Mountain via Sturgeon Rock Loop Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
morganovitch

Silver Star Mountain via Sturgeon Rock Loop Hike

Post by morganovitch » May 18th, 2018, 7:48 am

5/15/18
Tarbell trail is completely cut off by active logging just past mile post 9.5 across the Rock Creek bridge.
Had to turn back and head up the main trail to Silver Star, the vista was mostly obscured by fog but beautiful nonetheless.

sgyoung

Re: Silver Star Mountain via Sturgeon Rock Loop Hike

Post by sgyoung » May 20th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Thanks for the update about the logging. To clarify, is access to the trail cut off (in a temporary fashion) or has the logging more seriously closed off the tarbell trail?

I've only ever done Silver Star from the north trail head and have long wanted to explore the other routes up there.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » May 21st, 2018, 5:28 am

I tried to do the same loop on Saturday. The logging operation was going on with plenty of noise that echoed in the valley for all to hear. It marred an otherwise perfect hiking day. Since the Oregon side of the Gorge is closed, traffic on Silverstar trails were probably much higher than typical.

There were no signs telling the Tarbell trail was closed. Nor where there signs it was closed at the Sturgeon Rock trail junction. It's a shame the state can't curtail logging in areas that are so close to designated public recreation areas.

Thuja

Post by Thuja » May 21st, 2018, 11:57 am

Last edited by Thuja on March 8th, 2019, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 28th, 2018, 7:50 pm

johnspeth wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 5:28 am
There were no signs telling the Tarbell trail was closed. Nor where there signs it was closed at the Sturgeon Rock trail junction.
I was at Grouse Vista TH today. On the front of the info kiosk there was no notice, nor was there a notice at the junction just up from the TH. On the back of the kiosk was a sole item, the notice of this closure. Sure looks like somebody deliberately did the bare minimum necessary in order to claim the closure was posted. Also, notice in my pic below they say the reason for the closure is "Forest Mgmt Activities". Umm...ya know, most of us regular folk would know what you meant if you wrote "logging". Incidentally, at upper right of the detail pic, notice the trail identified as "Stairway" (should be Starway). By the way, Tarbell is closed going both ways from Grouse Vista. Do I still need to display a Disappointment Pass?
Attachments
closed1.jpg
Front of kiosk. I guess the parking fees don't raise enough money for garbage collection or bridge repairs. Pays for video surveillance (not that I believe that sign).
closed2.jpg
Posted on back of kiosk.
closed3.jpg
Detail of above notice.
closed4.jpg
I suspect the trail runs between the yellow arrows.