Silver Star north ridge snowshoe Monday, March 5th

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Silver Star north ridge snowshoe Monday, March 5th

Post by Don Nelsen » March 7th, 2018, 12:18 pm

The recent snow I could see on Silver Star looked inviting so on Monday I headed out to take a closer look.

The final road leading to the TH at 3100' is bad even with no snow but with a foot or more on the ground it became too much for my SUV. I got about a half mile before I was in danger of not being able to turn around so backed up and parked about a third of a mile in. This meant an extra 2 1/3 mile hike just to get to the normal TH. There were tracks from some very high clearance vehicles with big knobby tires all the way up and those tracks were useful since they packed the snow down preventing any post holing. Beyond that, snow shoes proved very useful, but we only went another mile or so having spent most of our energy already. Wonderful views every where and the final treat for the day came right at sunset.

On the way up:

The parking lot at the TH: Snow about two feet deep with about three inches since the last person was here.

No tracks above the TH except faint evidence of a couple of cross country skiers from a few days ago.

The real treat for the day came right at sunset as we started for home.

6.2 miles RT, 1675' EG
Last edited by Don Nelsen on March 13th, 2018, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

ssinfo503

Re: Silver Star north ridge snowshoe

Post by ssinfo503 » March 7th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Thanks a lot for the TR. Did you drive via Dole Valley Rd/L1100 Rd or via Sunset Campground?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 7th, 2018, 5:43 pm

ssinfo503 wrote:Thanks a lot for the TR. Did you drive via Dole Valley Rd/L1100 Rd or via Sunset Campground?
I drove in via the Sunset Campground route thinking that due to all the recent logging activity the road would have been graded and improved but I was very wrong!! Worse that ever - don't go that way.
I came back via the 1100 road and it was no problem. Both roads have snow up to about 6 to 8 inches in places but it has melted out enough that my tires were on gravel 95% of the way.

Thanks for the comment.

Don
Last edited by Don Nelsen on March 10th, 2018, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » March 9th, 2018, 11:00 am

Don,

Thanks for the TR. Every evening when I am driving up I-205, looking at Larch & Silver Star being all white & pretty, I've wondered what the conditions were. Now we know!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 13th, 2018, 6:33 am

WOWZA! Look at that sunset! :D :D :D

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 13th, 2018, 10:20 am

I went up the South Ridge the Sunday before last, (3/04/18) and conditions were about as you described. We made the summit, though not w/o much consternation, with pushing through the alder and the wet snow.

Pictures in my google album, here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/40DlryKg4kkahZdA2
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

romann

Re: Silver Star north ridge snowshoe Monday, March 5th

Post by romann » March 18th, 2018, 9:05 am

Great pictures, Don and Jeremiah! Looks so alpine up there with deep powder & open ridges.

Thinking of Silver Star, I wonder if some places in the Gorge will be similar in 20-30 years, when snags will be gone.