2WD accessible snowshoeing?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
pizzapal

2WD accessible snowshoeing?

Post by pizzapal » February 28th, 2018, 8:40 am

Hiya! Longtime hiker/lurker, first-time poster!
All of this glorious snow has me itching to do some snowshoeing! Some days, I can find a friend with 4WD to go with. Other days, I’d like to go solo, but my chariot is a Honda Fit, so I am more limited. Does anyone have any insight on some 2WD accessible snoparks/snowy trails? I am happy to drive ~2 hrs each way. Thank you in advance for any guidance!

adamschneider

Re: 2WD accessible snowshoeing?

Post by adamschneider » February 28th, 2018, 11:11 am

Any car can reach the Sno-Parks along Highways 26 and 35 near Mt. Hood; Barlow Pass and White River are excellent places for snowshoeing. You'll be required to CARRY tire chains in your car, but if it hasn't snowed in the last 24 hours, you probably won't need to put them on.

Pro tip: if you buy your chains at Les Schwab and never use them, you can return them in April for a full refund.

Guy

Post by Guy » February 28th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Yeah what Adam said, if it's not snowing heavily or hasn't snowed heavily in the previous 24 hours any front wheel drive car can navigate 26 & 35 without a problem even when it's snow covered. We did it for years in a Kia Spectra with regular tires. Never had to put chains on, never got stuck, in fact we went multiple times one winter all the time I thought the chains were in the truck then at the end of Winter I noticed that they had been sitting on the garage table all winter :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pizzapal

Post by pizzapal » March 1st, 2018, 9:46 am

Excellent! I’ve already got the chains, but I prefer carrying them to using them! :lol: Glad to hear the parks off of 26 & 35 are pretty easy access. I’ll start there.

Does anyone have experience at the Marble Snopark up at MSH? I’m curious to explore some of those trails, but uncertain about the road situation.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 1st, 2018, 9:59 am

pizzapal wrote:Does anyone have experience at the Marble Snopark up at MSH? I’m curious to explore some of those trails, but uncertain about the road situation.
It's not as well-traveled as the roads on Mt. Hood, but you should be fine.