The other eagle creek road closed

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Webfoot

Re: The other eagle creek road closed

Post by Webfoot » October 16th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Harvey Road now appears to be signed as Weyerhaeuser private land and closed two miles before the trailhead at 45.2943, -122.1736.
20161016_160413.jpg

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » October 16th, 2016, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the update, Webfoot! What a sad state of affairs...

By the way, here's my Eagle Creek trip report of a few months back:
http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=24192

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 14th, 2017, 12:39 pm

I drove to Harvey Road Trailhead today. The signs I reported last October are still there but the area no longer looks like an active logging zone, and I now interpret the signs as applying only the the land adjacent to the road, though they probably hope you assume otherwise. All Weyerhauser land in this area is gated so if Harvey Road were private I presume it would be gated too. Further down the road there are gates on side roads and signs on trees that are clearly intended to be read by someone, which I take as further evidence that they anticipate people being on that road.

The road itself it pretty torn up, and today it was muddy. In similar or wetter conditions I do not recommended heading for the trailhead without 4WD/AWD, and at least moderate clearance will be needed in all conditions due to ruts and dips.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » June 14th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Great to hear it's open again. Thanks for the report! Yeah that road was looking pretty rough last year but i was hoping they'd have the courtesy to grade it after logging. Guess not :(

Westma1

Post by Westma1 » January 29th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Update on Trailhead: The road condition is significantly improved as of this week - very large gravel - still a slow drive but eliminated the potholes. There are still a lot of no trespassing signs along the road but again I'd have to assume that refers to the property next to the road rather than the road itself as there are no barriers or gates across the road between the beginning of Harvey and the trailhead. I called the National Forest office and they confirmed that the trailhead and access to the trailhead was open. I was able to drive through and park at the usual trailhead without difficulty.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » January 31st, 2018, 9:13 am

That's great news! This is one of my favorite hikes and I wish the local Forest Service would do their utmost to really bring it into the hiking network. It's a fantastic place to escape to, and I'm glad it's reopened.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » March 6th, 2018, 11:35 am

Thanks, Westma1! Good to hear the Harvey Rd access to the trail is open again. Wish I still had my AWD Subaru...

walrus

Post by walrus » March 31st, 2018, 7:54 am

Navigable in a (careful) Mini Cooper on 3/23/18.

Imageother eagle th by walrus walrus, on Flickr

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » April 6th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Good to know, Walrus! Dang, I've moved from my AWD Subaru to a low-clearance Prius...

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » June 3rd, 2018, 10:32 am

Went up yesterday. There is now a formal burn-embossed forest service sign at the trailhead. Darn, this means it's easier for others to find. :)

Huge bloom of scotch broom in the area and at beginning of trail. I don't recall seeing that before...

Lovely lilies too!
FullSizeRender.jpg