Clackamas River hike - 10/24/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Clackamas River hike - 10/24/17

Post by justpeachy » November 2nd, 2017, 6:34 am

I was looking for a simple hike I could do on my own and settled on the Riverside Trail, which runs along the Clackamas River between Rainbow and Riverside Campgrounds. It turned out to be a lovely hike with great fall color. I started at the Riverside Trailhead and hiked towards Rainbow Campground. Almost immediately there's a nice viewpoint overlooking the river. That's Fish Creek Mountain back there:

Fall color and fungi galore:

There are several spots where you can get close to the river, which was raging after the torrential downpour a few days earlier:

More fall color:

The trail turned to follow the Oak Grove Fork up to Rainbow Campground:

At the campground I sat by the river and ate a snack, surrounded by bigleaf maples:

Then I turned around and headed back to the car. Nice hike! Fun to see the river raging, and the colors were super lovely. The drive was also gorgeous. These are crappy iPhone photos shot through the windshield on the way home, but you get the idea:

Video:

BigBear

Re: Clackamas River hike - 10/24/17

Post by BigBear » November 2nd, 2017, 8:31 am

Nice pictures. I was a few weeks too early this year to get anything other than a couple of vine maples.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » November 5th, 2017, 11:48 am

Beautiful pictures, as always, and I loved the video! I always for some reason overlook that trail. I guess I shouldn't :)

JZwing

Post by JZwing » November 8th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Gorgeous pictures, as always! You really hit the sweet spot; we hiked this trail on 10/8, too early. In a good fungus year, this trail is full of treasures. Its a good choice if you want an easier day and a pretty drive.