Recommendations for an Elopement Location

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
useyourtelescope

Recommendations for an Elopement Location

Post by useyourtelescope » October 23rd, 2017, 7:10 am

Hello!

My fiance and I are looking to elope in the Mount Hood area. We aren't from the Portland area, but lived there a while back and fell in love with the landscape and scenery. We're avid hikers and love being in the wilderness.

We're looking for a picturesque trail that wouldn't be too crowded to hike with our photographer. We're also looking for a location for the ceremony that isn't too difficult to get to, since our parents will be attending (short ceremony, no chairs or props, <8 people total including us). We will of course be respectful of the area and other hikers. I haven't been to Hood River Meadows, but it looked like a possible location for the ceremony. Then we could hike the Umbrella Falls trail after. The wedding is mid-August of next year on a Saturday. Is this area not too heavily trafficked?

Any other ideas for locations - I'm open to just about anything! Thank you :)

retired jerry

Re: Recommendations for an Elopement Location

Post by retired jerry » October 23rd, 2017, 8:57 am

good idea

Sahale Falls is 1/2 mile from trailhead

if you take the road to Mt Hood Meadows, you can take the Umbrella Falls trail 1/4 mile to Umbrella Falls

When you're done maybe drive up to Timberline Lodge. Historic lodge with food and drinks served. Nice views of Mt Hood. That could be a good location too.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 23rd, 2017, 8:59 am

useyourtelescope wrote:The wedding is mid-August of next year on a Saturday. Is this area not too heavily trafficked?
FYI, you're probably not going to have solitude anywhere on Hood on a Saturday in August. It's not like Mt. Rainier, but there WILL be people around.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » October 23rd, 2017, 9:44 am

I can't help with your question, but...how is it elopement if you invite your parents? That's oxymoronic where I come from. :)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 23rd, 2017, 10:13 am

texasbb wrote:I can't help with your question, but...how is it elopement if you invite your parents? That's oxymoronic where I come from. :)
Yeah, I was gonna say... :?:

Water

Post by Water » October 23rd, 2017, 2:24 pm

adamschneider wrote:
useyourtelescope wrote:The wedding is mid-August of next year on a Saturday. Is this area not too heavily trafficked?
FYI, you're probably not going to have solitude anywhere on Hood on a Saturday in August. It's not like Mt. Rainier, but there WILL be people around.

There will be people around, but I disagree that you can't find solitude anywhere on Hood on a Saturday in August. I can't tell you exactly where that is, and of course your criteria for it being close/relatively easy makes that harder. Some of it will be luck. You could go to Elk Meadows then a far edge of the meadow perhaps? Or up onto the ridge above it.. There are spots, but again ease of access is the concern.

However, Hood River Meadows, will be busy. I hiked it for the first time this past August. On a Sunday-it was busy, as was Umbrella falls.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Charley

Post by Charley » October 29th, 2017, 7:39 pm

useyourtelescope wrote:Hello!

My fiance and I are looking to elope in the Mount Hood area. We aren't from the Portland area, but lived there a while back and fell in love with the landscape and scenery. We're avid hikers and love being in the wilderness.

We're looking for a picturesque trail that wouldn't be too crowded to hike with our photographer. We're also looking for a location for the ceremony that isn't too difficult to get to, since our parents will be attending (short ceremony, no chairs or props, <8 people total including us). We will of course be respectful of the area and other hikers. I haven't been to Hood River Meadows, but it looked like a possible location for the ceremony. Then we could hike the Umbrella Falls trail after. The wedding is mid-August of next year on a Saturday. Is this area not too heavily trafficked?

Any other ideas for locations - I'm open to just about anything! Thank you :)
I would caution to be careful not to conduct an easily visible ceremony in the Mt Hood Meadows permit area. I have no idea what their permit actually, legally, entitles them, but I wouldn't be surprised that they'd hassle you if they saw you.

Umbrella Falls seems like far enough out of sight to be off of their radar. But I do second that a Saturday in August won't be particularly private. Could be fun though!

My wife and I eloped in a back room at the McMenamins Old St Francis School in Bend, with random acquaintances as witnesses, and a Deschutes County Juvenile Court Justice as officiant. We still think it was one of the best decisions we ever made. Have fun!!!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.