North Siouxon Trail 126

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Sugar Pine

North Siouxon Trail 126

Post by Sugar Pine » October 29th, 2017, 4:38 pm

We hiked the Huffman Peak trail loop yesterday. Great day for the hike, but the water crossings were painfully cold. At the Huffman/North Siouxon junction we were startled by a family who said they had hiked in about a mile from a road. I've looked for more information on this trail - 126, but only found one posting viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21222&hilit=siouxon+trail
Does anyone have more information on this trail, which would be a nice short cut to Huffman and avoid the water crossings?

Also, FR 54 was closed just past the Siouxon TH turnoff.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21222&hilit=siouxon+trail

cfm

Re: North Siouxon Trail 126

Post by cfm » November 3rd, 2017, 10:37 am

Haven't done it myself yet, but I've heard reports you can access Siouxon Peak via the 6403 from the Trapper Creek Side. Then you can traverse over to Huffman.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » November 23rd, 2017, 7:25 pm

I just found your TR, very nice.

There are actually 2 easier routes to access the Siouxon / Huffman Ridge. I have done both, but only did a TR for the "west" option: Sioxon / Huffman Ridge

The driving directions, from Skamania 231:

The Western Drive: From Battle Ground, drive Hwy 503 north to Chelatchie. Turn right (east) at the store. Drive 6 3/4 miles to the unmarked (but with big yellow gate) road (actually, the second left fork possible after crossing the bridge), which climbs steeply, but is good gravel. At 1 3/8 miles, pass through a gate with signs that say “Discover Pass Required” (but don't think that it applies for this route, because the parking is on Pope Resources land, not state land). At 1 3/4 miles, stay right on what is now the S1000 road. At all intersections, stay straight ahead on the major road. At about 4 miles cross the bridge over wild Siouxon Creek. Continue another 1/2 mile to the crest of the road & S2000 (unsigned) forking off to the right, uphill. Turn right onto the S2000 road. At 1/2 mile, on a big right turn, stop a moment to stare at the Sugar Loaf / Mt Mitchell panorama. Stay straight ahead on the main branch, almost all spur roads have number signs. At about 4 1/2 miles stay right at a confusing saddle / junction. At about 5 miles, the road used to stop in a saddle. Continue on the rougher extension (2whd safe!) for about 1/2 mile to a rise in the road and a wide spot on the uphill side. Park. The hidden connector trail starts on the left side of the wide spot. Note that the last 5/8 mile of this road does not show on the topo maps, but does show up on the Satellite Image

The Eastern Drive: Drive the Wind River Road for about 2.2 miles past the Government Mineral Springs split, to the Dry Creek / GPNF 64 Road. Drive the paved road through the alder and maple along Dry Creek, and then start climbing. At about 5 miles, it turns to gravel, and at 7 1/8 miles stay straight when FR58 forks left, and again at 2 3/4 miles when FR6401 splits right. Stay straight ahead on FR64 road for several miles and turn right on FR6403. The road bed is generally good, but the farther you drive, the skinnier it gets from lack of maintenance. Be sure to take an ax (at a minimum) with you to clear wind falls. Drive about 3 1/4 miles to the tank trapped end of the road at 2868 feet and park.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » November 28th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Great, thanks for all the detailed info!