Tamolitch "BluePool" - McKenzie River

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
markesc

Tamolitch "BluePool" - McKenzie River

Post by markesc » October 6th, 2017, 9:32 am

I wanted to see what all the hype was about, nice easy hike through the woods, with the second half on a lot of old lava rock.

The pool itself was neat, but I think I needed to be there in different lighting. Still unsure if that means either earlier or later, or with simply direct sunlight?
594A5961b.jpg
594A5966b.jpg
The best part of the hike was the first section in the woods:
594A5941b.jpg
594A5971b.jpg
594A5973b.jpg
594A5987b.jpg
594A5994b.jpg
594A5927b.jpg

adamschneider

Re: Tamolitch "BluePool" - McKenzie River

Post by adamschneider » October 6th, 2017, 9:38 am

I think direct sunlight is NOT what you want at the Blue Pool. It causes too many high-contrast lights and darks, and it's hard to get good pictures. (Although this is true of almost all scenes that involve trees and water.)

markesc

Post by markesc » October 6th, 2017, 10:02 am

adamschneider wrote:I think direct sunlight is NOT what you want at the Blue Pool. It causes too many high-contrast lights and darks, and it's hard to get good pictures. (Although this is true of almost all scenes that involve trees and water.)
Maybe I'll try a cloud day and do the scramble down... Fun hike though!

ssinfo503

Post by ssinfo503 » October 6th, 2017, 11:41 am

Great photos. I love that area very much.
For some reason, the blue water gave me goosebumps. Could it because I was there too early (usually before 9am)? Anyone else had similar feeling?

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 6th, 2017, 2:06 pm

markesc wrote:
adamschneider wrote:I think direct sunlight is NOT what you want at the Blue Pool. It causes too many high-contrast lights and darks, and it's hard to get good pictures. (Although this is true of almost all scenes that involve trees and water.)
There's also a path down on the near side, it's just hard to see from the trail as it parallels the rocks right next to, and underneath, it. It's an easy scramble down about 50 yards or so before the front edge of the pool. It leads you right to the front edge of the pool.
If you know it's there, you'll see it.

markesc

Post by markesc » October 7th, 2017, 6:14 pm

pdxgene wrote:
markesc wrote:
There's also a path down on the near side, it's just hard to see from the trail as it parallels the rocks right next to, and underneath, it. It's an easy scramble down about 50 yards or so before the front edge of the pool. It leads you right to the front edge of the pool.
If you know it's there, you'll see it.
Yeah I saw that! There were some high school kids clogging up that section, so I figure another day, plus I was rushed for time as usual! Wanted to hit the section above Sahali one more time, it's just SPECTACULAR right now!!!

Redo on the composition, but the wind kicked up... :roll:

Almost need a tilt/shift lens or focus blend to get this nailed down:
594A6001-2b.jpg