Eagle Creek Fires from Table with Kep and Bos 9/10/17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chase

Eagle Creek Fires from Table with Kep and Bos 9/10/17

Post by Chase » September 11th, 2017, 9:45 am

3090C862-9052-4C50-A2F4-26A2BA06D351_zpsrqnigvve.JPG
Beacon and beyond from Aldrich
Here's a smattering of pics from our trip. We went Bonneville to PCT to Heartbreak to Table Summit to NW Ridge to PCT to Aldrich. I'll add more later, but, hey, you are bored at work or retired and you want to see some pictures of the damage from the fires, right?
DSCN5565_zpsrxfmpwe2.JPG
From lower elevations this is what Munra looked like.
7B0FCD02-0B9C-457D-B961-3A6BCACB786D_zpsvt27wez8 (1).JPG
A ridge in the Tanner drainage, a mile or more south of the Columbia (difficult to tell).
7CD12F7C-942F-4993-8CF7-D32CA426F6B8_zpsqormu4js.JPG
Campfires near Gillette...the ash didn't look much more than a week old.
299CF849-737A-4F83-B1A7-396A1EB8CC6B_zpsvdw0aj8f.JPG
Another fire ring. Why bother to pack out trash?
DSCN5574_zpsjjxo4i3o.JPG
Nesmith.
DSCN5594_zps5bmutyye.JPG
Kep at the summit.
DSCN5613_zpsivssqojv.JPG
Eagle Creek
DSCN5614_zpsbip3ybno.JPG
Helicopter
DSCN5627_zps8pozri4v.JPG
Big surprise when Bosterson arrived at the top.
Attachments
DSCN5655_zpstcxzdhnp.JPG
Summit view.

Chase

Re: Eagle Creek Fires from Table with Kep and Bos 9/10/17

Post by Chase » September 11th, 2017, 12:11 pm

DSCN5675_zpsobplq88b (1).JPG
Some of these pics were taken later in the day from Aldrich.
DSCN5620_zpsisbxhdit.JPG
We saw more vultures than we had ever seen before.
DSCN5661_zpsbilbkd3f.JPG
DSCN5666_zpsoy5947jd.JPG
DSCN5667_zpss71nqj3h.JPG
0B3FE979-0713-47F4-9456-38FD31016D1B_zpsxgjua9ob.JPG
DSCN5676_zpsar89fikx (1).JPG
304F2026-772B-47F0-91D3-E89D4FA6CD98_zps0ch0pcj6.JPG
Bosterson kept finding burnt organic matter that turned to ash when you poked it with a trekking pole. Here's Kep with a leaf that stayed together. Imagine the thousands of burning bits that flew over the Gorge in the fire's early days. Kind of amazing that there weren't more fires in WA.

drm

Post by drm » September 11th, 2017, 12:52 pm

Kind of amazing that there weren't more fires in WA.
My guess is that for stuff like leaves, they had cooled down by the time they made it across the river and landed, so couldn't start any fires. I would think that if it's going to fly for a mile, it's got to be an ember of wood to keep the heat for long enough. And I don't think it was so windy to keep a decent sized ember aloft for that far, whereas when being blown west it didn't have to get that far to land on something that would burn.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 11th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Hey, thanks for kicking this off, Chase! Just had a wonderful day out there, yesterday! Guess I could toss a few more photos this way. :)
    One thing that has startled me since the fires began is the great number of raptors (especially vultures) constantly circling overhead.
    Munra looking like toast. (Later shots show lots of green still there, though.)
    Gillette Lake, lovely as ever.
    News helicopter doing a Nesmith fly-by. We didn't see a single aircraft involved in suppression all day long.
    Massive controlled burn (we could only presume) on south side of Cascade Locks.
    Skeletal tree remains on ridge up Moffett drainage.
    Another look at controlled burn from Two Chiefs overlook.
    Little smokers were along nearly all ridges from Angels Rest eastward. This is probably near Ruckel.
    Best view of the day! No evidence, whatsoever, of either East Crater or Bear Creek fires!
    Not a pleasant sight. We really felt for those folks down in Cascade Locks.
    Nearly 180° of burned area, still smoking... Just staggering.
    Look who showed up! Call this the "Reverse Lewis & Clark" pose?
    Contrast stretched to highlight all the little smokers along the ridge east of Nesmith.
    So nasty!
    We could see Wind and Dog on arrival, but they were quickly enveloped with smoke as we watched.
    The buzzards were out in force, my friends!
    "Nice birdy! Hey birdy-birdy-birdy! Smile!"
    A face only a mother could love?
drm wrote:
Kind of amazing that there weren't more fires in WA.
My guess is that for stuff like leaves, they had cooled down by the time they made it across the river and landed, so couldn't start any fires. I would think that if it's going to fly for a mile, it's got to be an ember of wood to keep the heat for long enough. And I don't think it was so windy to keep a decent sized ember aloft for that far, whereas when being blown west it didn't have to get that far to land on something that would burn.
We were finding things other than leaves, too. Large chunks of burnt bark and such.
    This chunk was easily 4x as large before I picked it up and it fell apart.
    Can't see into the valleys, but view better than from the road argues in favor of the "mosaic" characterization.
    Slightly less crispy view of Munra, again arguing "mosaic" is what we have. For now.
    Ruckel Ridge area. More mosaic.
    Snagging a shot of Mount Adams from Aldrich Butte.
    Wauna Viewpoint
    My last, and favorite, shot of the day epitomizes the intense love/hate feelings I have for all this mess!

Such a day... Surreal. Tragic. Beautiful. Certainly memorable!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » September 11th, 2017, 4:43 pm

Great reports from both of you .... I am just now coming to grips with the losses out there.

In regards to the buzzards ..... I did the NW ridge of Table a few weeks past, in the later afternoon. Going up there were 3 birds in that snag. Coming down, there were, as I recall, 13 or 14 birds. I joked with the birds that whoever sent out the tweet (or was it a squawk?) that there was going to be a Luau at dusk, got it wrong!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 11th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Thanks for the photos! Hoping for all the smoke to clear so we can get some views farther up the drainages. For now, looks like the WA side will be the go to hiking area for some time!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm

Hmm, interesting. Especially intrigued by kepPNW's ambivalence. Yes, there is some enigmatic beauty and excitement to all this. And from a purely selfish standpoint, I like this, while also empathizing with the hardship it's causing. I'd be out there too, but I assume sr14 is a zoo, and I'm currently obsessed with hood.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 11th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I'm a little late to this party, and my dinky little old camera can't really pull off what the others got, but here are some pics.

Gorge seen around noon-thirty as I started up from a "closed" trailhead.

Photogenic buzzards.

On the NW ridge of Table, taking a picture of Chase taking a picture of aforementioned photogenic buzzards.

Dusky light around 6pm or so from Aldrich Butte, looking west.

Munra is the little nubbin straight across. Poor thing is fried. Seems ironic to have been worrying about hordes "damaging" the moss all this time...

It shouldn't have been surprising, but it really was astonishing to see how barren much of the Gorge is. (The face of Nesmith especially is going to be a sore sight for the eyes - I think even St. Peter's Dome burned.) And to see how much active fire is still happening out there... let us all pray for rain.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 11th, 2017, 7:30 pm

Chip Down wrote:Hmm, interesting. Especially intrigued by kepPNW's ambivalence. Yes, there is some enigmatic beauty and excitement to all this. And from a purely selfish standpoint, I like this, while also empathizing with the hardship it's causing. I'd be out there too, but I assume sr14 is a zoo, and I'm currently obsessed with hood.
I've driven SR14 nearly every day for the past week and it's not too bad. Busy, but moves along just fine.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » September 12th, 2017, 4:57 am

Encouraging, looks like lots of green on the front.

Hopefully a patchwork of mosaic up the gullies/ridges where we can't see much yet.

Yeah, we can stop worrying about the lichen on Munra for awhile.

I think WADOT has restricted SR14 to cars and light trucks only until 84 opens.