Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Guy

Re: Total Solar Eclipse, 21-Aug-2017

Post by Guy » June 19th, 2017, 6:28 pm

SWriverstone wrote:So...a few thoughts.

First (and this is admittedly a question) why are so many folks here planning to stick to the Cascades for the eclipse? Isn't there a better-than-even chance it'll be cloudy at 10am in the morning? (Seems like the safest bet is go farther east.)

Second, I keep hearing that literally every human being west of the Mississippi will be coming to Oregon—and every square inch of land in the path will be shoulder-to-shoulder packed. I'm thinking this is at least a bit exaggerated. :?: I guess this doesn't make sense to me because the eclipse path isn't just in Oregon—it keeps going. (But maybe the view is gradually degraded the farther east you go?)

Third...in my mind, the $20,000 question is...will there be so many people in the path that even **all possibilities for dispersed camping on national forest or BLM land** will be filled?

If you look at the entire Ochoco NF and the region just to the north (encompassing the different John Day Fossil Beds NM sites), it seems to me that there are enough potential dispersed camping sites—and fabulous viewing spots—to accommodate 50,000 people or more.

Am I missing something? (And good point someone made about the heat-definitely important to consider!)

Scott
Yeah, some huge unknowns here which is probably why news media is having such a field day with it.

Could be nothing more than a long tailback on 26 over the mountain or it could be the near social breakdown some are predicting if gas stations start running out of gas, ATMs run out of money and the cell infrastructure clogs up. I think a lot of these more dire predictions are just that but can't be discounted completely.

I for one will be heading out that weekend with enough gas, water, food and money to get there and back again :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 19th, 2017, 8:26 pm

will there be so many people in the path that even **all possibilities for dispersed camping on national forest or BLM land** will be filled?

I am not a prophet, but I have a pretty good track record as a guesser.

My guess would be that the vast number of visitors to Oregon from beyond the PNW who'll come here for the eclipse will not be equipped for, or interested in, dispersed camping. There will be a fair number of people from here in the PNW who camp and own camping equipment who will attempt dispersed camping, but only because the campgrounds are jam-packed to capacity already. Most will have little or no experience in finding dispersed sites, no local knowledge and probably not even a FS road map to help them. Those people will drive out helter-skelter, with no real plan, and land somewhere at random. The further you get from a main paved road, the fewer of these you'll find.

The best dispersed spots that are tucked away on FS and BLM land are well known to locals, but the real locals will largely live within the path of totality and not need to camp out to see it. I'm guessing that if you are an experienced dispersed camper, have a map and a plan and some familiarity with the territory you aim for, and are willing to claim your spot earlier than Saturday afternoon, you should be able to find a decent campable site, not too far from a good eclipse viewing spot.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 20th, 2017, 6:57 am

SWriverstone wrote:First (and this is admittedly a question) why are so many folks here planning to stick to the Cascades for the eclipse? Isn't there a better-than-even chance it'll be cloudy at 10am in the morning? (Seems like the safest bet is go farther east.)
If someone is from Portland, the further east they go, the longer it will take to get home. I got Monday off work, but not Tuesday (Tuesday would be a better day to drive home, if that were a possibility for me). If I were driving home from John Day on Monday, I can see a possibility of not getting home until midnight or later due to the clogged roads, accidents, people running out of gas, etc. It will still take a long time to get home from, say, Detroit Lake, but not as long as from eastern Oregon.

drm

Post by drm » June 20th, 2017, 10:05 am

Remember also that it could be really hot out east in August. People from the west side will wilt.

alexcr

Post by alexcr » June 23rd, 2017, 10:30 pm

This thread is really helpful. Thanks to everyone who has contributed up to this point.

I was initially contemplating Painted Hills, but there's no overnight camping there, designated campsites nearby seem pretty booked, and its limited trails seem like it could lend itself to a bit of a mob scene. So I'm considering other options, specifically dispersed camping in nearby NFS/BLM lands.

On this topic, is anyone considering the nearby Ochoco NF, Malheur NF, or Wallowa NF? Could these be good options for dispersed camping? (I'd probably aim to arrive a couple days in advance of the eclipse itself.) Any peaks in those parks that would be ideal for the eclipse itself? Strawberry Mountain? Dixie Butte? Spanish Peak? White or Black Buttes?

Feel free to PM me, too, as I know some folks are sensitive about sharing information too widely.

eg83

Post by eg83 » August 7th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Painted hills would be most epic, though the limited BLM camping and one way in one way out access will put the squeeze on this spot. I would imagine this would be one of the most popular viewing spots in oregon.

drm

Post by drm » August 7th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Lets keep two numbers in mind. Madras, pop. 6000, is expecting 100,000 visitors. Oregon, pop. 4 million, is expecting one million visitors. If these numbers actually pan out, it will be far beyond anything before. The last total eclipse in Oregon was in 1979 - in February.

Eastern Oregon is getting it worst because it has the highest probability of sunny weather in the entire path. Summer thunderstorms are common east of the Rockies and they can easily be going by late morning when the eclipse gets that for over. Seems like Idaho should be sunny too though.

I got my spot picked out and I will let you all know where it is and how it worked out - afterwards.

I suspect that if it is anywhere near as bad as predictions, people will be sleeping in their cars on the side of the road. OSP says you can't park on the shoulder of state highways for the eclipse. Could be a good ticket money-maker for some small towns.

Truck deliveries are banned for a few days to keep the roads opened, so stores are stocking up - including alcohol and marijuana stores.

If you are driving to the path of totality, take everything you will need - for an extra day at least. Particularly water, tp, etc. Since it's on a Monday and many are arriving early, it is the hours after the eclipse that they are most worried for traffic. Could be a wild ride or could be The Return of Y2K.

Guy

Post by Guy » August 7th, 2017, 4:38 pm

eg83 wrote:Painted hills would be most epic, though the limited BLM camping and one way in one way out access will put the squeeze on this spot. I would imagine this would be one of the most popular viewing spots in oregon.
Can you elaborate on the one way travel in central Oregon? I've heard a few references to it but have no details.

Thanks.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

neilsonw

Post by neilsonw » August 7th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Guy wrote:
eg83 wrote:Painted hills would be most epic, though the limited BLM camping and one way in one way out access will put the squeeze on this spot. I would imagine this would be one of the most popular viewing spots in oregon.
Can you elaborate on the one way travel in central Oregon? I've heard a few references to it but have no details.

Thanks.
I think he just meant that the Painted Hills unit only has one access road--no outlet.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 7th, 2017, 7:10 pm

It's not definite yet, but the forest service MIGHT restrict the number of people at Olallie Lake and beyond, presumably once the campsites fill. There are already a couple groups camping there for it.
Since I'm not going until Sunday, I'm on the 'volunteer staff list' (and it's a short list..lol..) for the resort to get in but those getting there too late might not be able to.
The Warm Springs have clearly posted a bright yellow "No Trespassing" sign at the spot where the Olallie Lake Trail tuns west at the south end of the lake. NO going on to Long Lake or Dark Lake or further if you are smart. What happens on their land is subject to their laws.