Marys Peak Flowers

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
markesc

Marys Peak Flowers

Post by markesc » June 17th, 2017, 11:59 am

Did this more for the drive than the hike/flowers!!

Some flowers, no wide angle shots as the 100-400 lens stays glued on my camera, and I sorta like the compression look over the overdone wide angle shots (plus I'm too lazy to change lenses every 2 minutes and/or carry two cameras)!
594A6318b.jpg
Philomath:
594A6230c.jpg
594A6251b.jpg
594A6276.jpg
594A6240b.jpg
594A6341-2b.jpg
594A6359.jpg
594A6364.jpg
594A6218.jpg
594A6320.jpg
594A6273.jpg
594A6316b.jpg
Neat section of forest below the summit, would be cool with some fog/lightrays...
594A6373.jpg
Note on the drive:: For those that enjoy not having a toyota rav-4 6' from their rear bumper @ 65mph/want to avoid I-5 nightmare, I strongly suggest taking 99 south, after the dundee/newberg nightmare, it's a pretty good drive. From Dallas, take 223 south, and this road is just AWESOME!! Keep in mind the Dalles/Rickreal area can be confusing.

I'm curious: For the people that drive I-5 and believe they have epic Arton Senna style driving skills, why is it when you're on a road with corners, you completely wimp out? It just seems like people go from EXPERT drivers in a straight-line so it's okay to tailgate, yet!!!! yet!!!! you get the SAME people on a twisty road = complete panic, all the confidence they previously possessed evaporates!! Nothing is more fun for me than going exactly the speed limit on a straight section while bozo behind me is following too close, then, hitting a few turns, and all of a sudden they're way back there. Do tailgaters not enjoy corners? For me corners are the last place on the road you can actually have fun without breaking the speed limit, yes, dry pavement, during the day, not crossing the double yellow, and no tire squealing. That's fun. So please some tailgaters (you know who you are!) I expect a full report on the matter!

pdxgene

Re: Marys Peak Flowers

Post by pdxgene » June 17th, 2017, 1:15 pm

So flowers are strong on the way up but still a week or two away from peak up top?

I think too many drivers haven't quite realized you can slow down going into turns by simply removing your foot from the gas pedal without having to also put on the brake. Then you can speed back up as the turn progresses much more easily and smoothly and you're driving normally.
Drivers Ed was mandatory in high school in California. I don't see much of it around here... :?

kelkev

Post by kelkev » June 18th, 2017, 5:45 am

Looks like tons of penstemon as usual along the road up to the summit?
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

f1209

Post by f1209 » June 18th, 2017, 2:31 pm

markesc wrote:I'm curious: For the people that drive I-5 and believe they have epic Arton Senna style driving skills, why is it when you're on a road with corners, you completely wimp out? It just seems like people go from EXPERT drivers in a straight-line so it's okay to tailgate, yet!!!! yet!!!! you get the SAME people on a twisty road = complete panic, all the confidence they previously possessed evaporates!! Nothing is more fun for me than going exactly the speed limit on a straight section while bozo behind me is following too close, then, hitting a few turns, and all of a sudden they're way back there. Do tailgaters not enjoy corners? For me corners are the last place on the road you can actually have fun without breaking the speed limit, yes, dry pavement, during the day, not crossing the double yellow, and no tire squealing. That's fun. So please some tailgaters (you know who you are!) I expect a full report on the matter!
Oh my gosh. Absolutely.

Braking all the way through corners. It's definitely where I leave drivers behind.

Back to the hiking. And, nice flower shots :)