Yellow Whatsit?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
texasbb

Yellow Whatsit?

Post by texasbb » June 2nd, 2017, 6:58 am

kaltbluter

Re: Yellow Whatsit?

Post by kaltbluter » June 2nd, 2017, 7:37 am

Some kind of parsley?

edit: maybe Grays Desert Parsley.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 2nd, 2017, 8:08 am

Definitely desert parsley (Lomatium), but probably not Gray's; that's usually taller.

Where exactly was it?

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 2nd, 2017, 9:20 am

I'm gonna guess texasbb is on his annual pilgrimage to Punjab/Indian Corral trails :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 2nd, 2017, 9:34 am

miah66 wrote:I'm gonna guess texasbb is on his annual pilgrimage to Punjab/Indian Corral trails :lol:
Close! The close-up pic is from Middle Point Ridge, just east of the Touchet River, shot on Memorial Day. But the wide angle shot is indeed from Indian Corral about 5 years ago. :)

This stuff is all over the Wenaha-Tucannon, and I've always wondered what it was. And it's always low to the ground like that. Thanks, kaltbluter and adamschneider!

ETA: Wow, there are lots of varieties of desert parsely! But of all the pics on that site you linked, adam, nothing looks right in the greenery except the Grays picture from kaltbluter's link.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 2nd, 2017, 10:27 am

texasbb wrote:ETA: Wow, there are lots of varieties of desert parsely! But of all the pics on that site you linked, adam, nothing looks right in the greenery except the Grays picture from kaltbluter's link.
I could be wrong. Wildflowersearch.com does seem to think that Gray's is the most likely.

Besides, I hear they've recently split off a couple new species — Lomatium klickitatensis & Lomatium papilioniferum — from Lomatium grayi, and it may be that the ones in the Gorge are greener and taller than the ones further east.