God's Thumb

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Smith

God's Thumb

Post by Smith » May 17th, 2017, 12:10 pm

So, I had planned all these chores and errands I needed to get done, but it was so sunny when I woke up! Then my girlfriend suggested we go to the beach. So, instead of being productive, we when to brunch, packed a picnic, and headed to the coast.

We hiked up to God's Thumb and yes the trailhead is confusing! There is a place that obviously looks like a trailhead, but it has a sign that says, "This is not the trail." Very helpful. To the left of this non-trailhead, there is a gate. This gate is the trailhead, on the left side of the gate is an almost hidden place to go around the gate (picture below).

The trail is still very muddy, be prepared to get dirty. There is one spot with some fallen trees, which I so bravely traversed, to only discover you can walk around them. The hike up the thumb is steep, but not too bad. All in all a pretty easy hike.

Great view from the top, but it was VERY windy. I had to keep my hat in my bag will up on the Thumb, as to not lose it.

https://youtu.be/-ZAqKoo7Nho

More Photos on my blog: https://boredomtheadventure.wordpress.c ... ods-thumb/

This is the entrance to the trail.

bobcat

Re: God's Thumb

Post by bobcat » May 18th, 2017, 1:13 pm

The Thumb on a sunny day! I envy the views . . .

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 21st, 2017, 11:35 am

Very cool. Looks like a fun outing and probably a much better use of time than chores. Years ago my wife and I randomly stumbled upon a cool hike on the coast, although neither of us remember exactly where we were (it was an impromptu jaunt to break up a drive). These pictures look familiar - I wonder if this is where we ended up. The only thing that doesn't fit is the odd and hard to find trail head.

Thanks for posting!

Smith

Post by Smith » May 22nd, 2017, 5:52 am

sgyoung wrote:The only thing that doesn't fit is the odd and hard to find trail head.
I could be wrong, but I think there is another trailhead that leads out to God's Thumb. So maybe that explains it.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 23rd, 2017, 6:54 pm

Smith wrote:
sgyoung wrote:The only thing that doesn't fit is the odd and hard to find trail head.
I could be wrong, but I think there is another trailhead that leads out to God's Thumb. So maybe that explains it.
I dug up our old photos and it turns out we were definitely somewhere different. Where exactly is still a mystery however. Maybe I'll ask in the ID forum with some pictures.

Smith

Post by Smith » May 23rd, 2017, 8:41 pm

sgyoung wrote:
Smith wrote:
I dug up our old photos and it turns out we were definitely somewhere different. Where exactly is still a mystery however. Maybe I'll ask in the ID forum with some pictures.
Yes, please do! I love a good mystery.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 24th, 2017, 6:40 am

It's done! Photos posted in the ID forum.