Green Point Mt. Snow 5-14-17

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Jack

Green Point Mt. Snow 5-14-17

Post by Jack » May 17th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Thought I’d head up to Green Point Mt. (4740’) from the Herman Creek TH to see how much snow was up there and check out trail conditions from damage during the winter storms.

Started out in the rain, but there were a few short respites as the day went on, such as here just before the Gorton Cr. Tr. junction.

The trail was in great shape from the TH on up Nick Eaton Way and all the way up to the 4100’ high point on Nick Eaton Ridge before the Casey Creek Tr. junction.

Nick Eaton Way

Grey bird day

Red Flowering Currant

Start of the steeper part of Nick Eaton Ridge at 3200’.

Ran into a little snow on the east side of the ridge just below the high point, but it only covered about 100’ of trail.

The high point of the ridge before the Casey Cr. junction at 4100’.

The Casey Cr. junction sign

No snow on the rest of the ridge except for a small amount leading down to the Gorton Tr. junction.

From there the snow was just spotty…

…until I got on the Green Pt. plateau at 4200’ when it was all snow for the remaining two miles to the top.

Went pretty direct from there until I caught a glimpse of the trail corridor which transforms into what is about as direct as you can get.

Tied into the four-way junction that branches south for about ¼ mile to the summit.

Snow drifts from 3’-5’ deep were not in short supply, but the viewpoint was oddly enough almost bare. Put the microspikes on here for the descent.

A foggy Rainy Lake

Due the ample snow depth going down the south west side, I mistakenly thought there might be enough snow to bypass the shelter and drop down direct to the Herman Creek Cutoff Tr. switchbacks at 3900’ (old Mayhem and Eric Peterson loony trick).

Image[/url]

But, alas, I started running out of snow at around 4300’, but I left the microspikes on to gain traction going down the steepest part on drenched ground.

Merged onto the trail right where an old pole/snag held (red arrow) what I suspect is the telephone wire insulator that someone had shown in a trip report some years back.

The streams were flowing well.

This log was the worst of the downfall on the Herman Cutoff Tr. I’ll post pictures of most of the downed logs on a large portion of the Herman Cr. Tr. on the “Trail Rx” page a little later. Sure helps cut down on the overcrowding. ;)

Herman Cr. Tr. junction – 7.3 miles to go.

Tilted camera shot

Better plan on taking your pack off, if you’re wearing one, to get through either of these holes. This has been here since the winter before last.

It was a wet one, but I think I got the wettest from the melting snow dropping out of the trees, although it was only 35°above 4400’. This is always a fun hike. 18 miles/5200’ elevation gain.

Don Nelsen

Re: Green Point Mt. Snow 5-14-17

Post by Don Nelsen » May 17th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Jack,

Thanks for a great report and photos! I was thinking of heading out that way in the next few days so now I know what to expect. I just started using the same micro spikes you have and love them for not only snow and ice, but for steep off-trail terrain and walking on logs as well. I would have saved myself a few slips and falls if I'd know about these alternate uses earlier.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 17th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Wonderful timing! We'd been thinking about doing this one, should a nice day come along. (Still haven't been on Greenpoint when it wasn't entirely cloud-covered.) I bet next week will make a huge dent in what's left up there! Was really surprised the snow on Nick Eaton is no worse than my last trip up, mid-November. I kinda like that bomber drop from the top! Hmmm... :)

Thanks for the report!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Jack

Post by Jack » May 17th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:I just started using the same micro spikes you have and love them for not only snow and ice, but for steep off-trail terrain and walking on logs as well. I would have saved myself a few slips and falls if I'd know about these alternate uses earlier.
Thanks Don! Yes, I’ve worn out the rubber on three pairs of those microspikes over the last 8 years on ice, snow, mud, wet ground, rocks, and logs, but I’ve never worn out the stainless steel spikes. Guess you could say I rely on them in the winter time. In your kind of hikes, you'll probably be using them year around. :D
kepPNW wrote:(Still haven't been on Greenpoint when it wasn't entirely cloud-covered.) I bet next week will make a huge dent in what's left up there! Was really surprised the snow on Nick Eaton is no worse than my last trip up, mid-November.
I expected a lot more snow on Nick Eaton, too, Karl. It usually clings to that steeper north slope. You’re right, it’s going to melt off fast up there on the plateau, too, with the coming “heat wave”, but the drifts above the junction might stick around for awhile. Great seeing you up there on Larch last week!
Last edited by Jack on May 17th, 2017, 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drm

Post by drm » May 17th, 2017, 6:31 pm

That log with the two alternate holes to squeeze through has been there for years and it's only 2 miles or so up from the TH. Herman Ck is a popular trail so I wonder why they haven't taken care of that one yet. Not like it's in the middle of nowhere.

Looks like it got sunny, or at least brighter, for your last segment down Herman Ck.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 18th, 2017, 4:44 am

Jack wrote:
kepPNW wrote:(Still haven't been on Greenpoint when it wasn't entirely cloud-covered.) I bet next week will make a huge dent in what's left up there! Was really surprised the snow on Nick Eaton is no worse than my last trip up, mid-November.
I expected a lot more snow on Nick Eaton, too, Karl. It usually clings to that steeper north slope. You’re right, it’s going to melt off fast up there on the plateau, too, with the coming “heat wave”, but the drifts above the junction might stick around for awhile. Great seeing you up there on Larch last week!
I am so beyond ready for the snow to melt! Gonna bump this one way up on the list for a nice, bluebird day. Who needs to see even more colorful weeds, huh? ;) Yes, so nice to see you both up there! We really need to plan ahead for that, again, one of these days. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » May 18th, 2017, 6:46 am

This is great. I was wondering how Nick Eaton Ridge was doing. Was planning on going up that way soon. Probably not as far as Green Point though. :D
Colette Grace