Onion Peak in Clatsop County

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mrblisterdundee

Onion Peak in Clatsop County

Post by mrblisterdundee » April 18th, 2017, 10:41 am

I hiked the approach to Onion Peak in Clatsop County on Sunday, April 16. You start on the graveled Hug Point Road just off of U.S. Highway 101. The trail follows Hug Point Road and later Onion Peak Road up to the foot of Onion Peak, which is off limits because of the rare onion species on top the North Coast Land Conservancy is trying to protect. It's still a nice 12-mile round trip hike, gaining 2,200 feet. The clearcuts provide for sweeping panoramas of the ocean, and at one point you can see Cannon Beach, Tillamook Head, Clatsop Plains and a sliver of water that is the mouth of the Columbia River.
Summit Post provides a nice description and map of the hike: http://www.summitpost.org/onion-peak/177904
I almost want to sneak up to the top, but I've heard the conservancy has hidden cameras and will charge people with trespassing. There are clearly posted signs at the end of the logging road portion of the hike telling you not to go further. After that, it's a 1-mile, 1,000-foot scramble of the peak, which I haven't tried because of the aforementioned restrictions.
Attachments
Onion Peak 1.jpg
After almost six miles of hiking, you round a large rock face, and Onion peak comes into view, towering behind the firs.
Last edited by mrblisterdundee on April 23rd, 2017, 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BigBear

Re: Onion Peak in Clatsop County

Post by BigBear » April 18th, 2017, 12:07 pm

I looked at the website you referenced because I was curious about the hike. You have to read the disclaimer on the website:

I just found out this gate, and about a mile inside the gate, is now owned by Stimson Lumber. They had advised me there is absolutely NO ENTRY past the gate. Not even during hunting season. Enter at your own risk or find another way in…
For more info call Stimson Lumber @ 503-357-2131

mrblisterdundee

Post by mrblisterdundee » April 18th, 2017, 8:46 pm

BigBear wrote:I looked at the website you referenced because I was curious about the hike. You have to read the disclaimer on the website:

I just found out this gate, and about a mile inside the gate, is now owned by Stimson Lumber. They had advised me there is absolutely NO ENTRY past the gate. Not even during hunting season. Enter at your own risk or find another way in…
For more info call Stimson Lumber @ 503-357-2131
The logging companies let you hike when there's no active logging.

Gumby

Post by Gumby » April 20th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Nice. This one has been on my bucket list for a while now. I always look for it when I'm down on the beach.
May she will stay