Table Mtn from North Bonneville TH - March 19, 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pablo

Table Mtn from North Bonneville TH - March 19, 2017

Post by pablo » March 19th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Just to see what it was like I parked at the North Bonneville Trailhead across from the dam and hiked to the summit of Table Mtn. I can say conclusively, speaking for everyone who might want to hike to Table Mtn this year, with the exception of Sean Thomas and Joerunner, that starting from N. Bon is not feasible given the additional miles and elevation gain (the added section goes up and down, up and down so much my cumulative elevation gain for this hike was over 4500').

Given the ownership around Table I don't see anything easy that does not involve trespassing. In a previous post I think Don had the best solution, look around for that.

When I got to the top of Table I was the only one on the summit and on this day no one had been there before me or at least I saw no fresh tracks. On the way back, on the PCT near the Heartbreak junction I ran in to a few people, they may have been able to summit but it was around 3:30PM when I saw them and I lost the trail in snow after the Heartbreak climb and just bushwhacked to the summit over snow and through brush. Unusual for such a clear day and tolerable snow not to have more people on Table. I think this is due to the trailhead problem.

A bit away from the N Bon TH a nice view from a clearcut. From left to right Munra, Wauneka and Nesmith Points.

ImageFromPCTNesmith by pauljess999, on Flickr

Gillette Lake is pretty.

ImageGillette by pauljess999, on Flickr

All large stream crossings are bridged.

ImageBridge0 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Greenleaf Creek was high.

ImageBridgeGreenleaf by pauljess999, on Flickr

Lots of sticks on the PCT added a bit of difficulty

ImageSticksOnTrail by pauljess999, on Flickr

Signboard at the juncction ofr the PCT and Heartbreak

ImageSIgnBoard by pauljess999, on Flickr

I like the little heartbreak signs, steep trail.

ImageHeartBreak by pauljess999, on Flickr

Getting close but hard work lies ahead

ImageSummitFirstLook by pauljess999, on Flickr

Pointer to the gully I did last week.

ImagePointer by pauljess999, on Flickr

I liked the sky here. The columbia is muddy from spring runoff and recent rainfall.

ImageSky by pauljess999, on Flickr

Going up off trail.

ImageSummitLookGoingUp by pauljess999, on Flickr

West Ridge route looks fairly clear at this level.

ImageWestRidge by pauljess999, on Flickr

At the summit looking down, I do not like getting close to the edge up there, I don't trust any of it.

ImageHamiltonCedarAldrich by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageHoodBon by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking up the summit trail - I did not go that way.

ImageSummitLook by pauljess999, on Flickr

Big zoom on my canon was able to focus on the North Bon parking lot from the summit of Table - lot is left of the highway in this photo.

ImageNBonParkingLot by pauljess999, on Flickr

Last look at the summit before heading into the snow.

ImageLastLook by pauljess999, on Flickr

I'm calling it 15 miles, 4500'+ cumulative elevation gain. Never again will I do this route.

ImageTableMtnMap by pauljess999, on Flickr
Last edited by pablo on March 20th, 2017, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

bobcat

Re: Table Mtn from North Bonneville TH - March 19, 2017

Post by bobcat » March 20th, 2017, 7:19 am

Thanks for the report, pablo. An amazing lack of snow, in fact, after the winter we had.

In the Field Guide, I have been updating all those hikes that were written up from Aldrich Butte/Dick Thomas Trailheads. One more to go.

The first couple times I hiked Table, maybe three decades ago, it was from Icehouse Lake. Then I shaved off a little by cutting in from Fort Rains. Then they built the Bonneville Trailhead, and I used that. People have been truly spoiled the last few years!

It's a long approach, much over the PCT easement, but you basically zone out and go aerobic. My biggest complaint is that it's over the landslide, so the tread is never just a nice duff cushion, but lumpy and sometimes loose with rock chunks a lot of the way.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » March 20th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Pablo,

Nice report, thanks.

The one (and only) part that I like of the PCT route, is that after crossing over all the slide zone mess, you finally come to that first sharp left switchback, and you realize that you are now climbing up the shear line of the western limit of the slide. I have done that section 3 times now, and each time I have had to stop, pause, and just say "w o w !"
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

beag

Post by beag » March 20th, 2017, 3:17 pm

For anyone interested in the trail system there is a meeting of N Bonneyville PCT proposal to morrow at 3pm in the clubhouse just behind the gas station.There is a possibility that Mr Cam will provide a temporary parking area until new trail is ready. Jake the guy who is most involved in discussions had a meeting with the Cam family last week and the talk went real good. Dick Thomas trail will not be affected by facility. Just need Cam to provide parking and permission nearby. Meeting is open so I would encourage as many as possible go.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 20th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Yes, I believe Mr. Cam owns the plot under the powerlines where the Greenleaf Slough a.k.a. Mazama "Trailhead" is. I wonder how much he can expand it, though. Everyone will want to start from there and not Bonneville. I know of a few "neighbors" who will not be pleased.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 21st, 2017, 2:21 am

Thanks for the TR.

Looks very doable for anyone looking for a few extra miles.

The 'new old' TH will be great for keeping the crowds down too, the antithesis of Angles Rest :)

AR was a zoo at 9:00 this past Sunday...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 21st, 2017, 5:58 am

beag wrote:For anyone interested in the trail system there is a meeting of N Bonneyville PCT proposal to morrow at 3pm in the clubhouse just behind the gas station.There is a possibility that Mr Cam will provide a temporary parking area until new trail is ready. Jake the guy who is most involved in discussions had a meeting with the Cam family last week and the talk went real good. Dick Thomas trail will not be affected by facility. Just need Cam to provide parking and permission nearby. Meeting is open so I would encourage as many as possible go.
Very excited to hear what comes of this meeting. Pretty sure "work" will interfere, or I'd be there too.
Eric Peterson wrote:Looks very doable for anyone looking for a few extra miles.

The 'new old' TH will be great for keeping the crowds down too, the antithesis of Angles Rest :)
Heh, although... :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 25th, 2017, 7:18 am

Just to continue to hijack pablo's thread, here are some comments by a local from last weekend:

"Bonneville Trailhead was totally full on Saturday. Cars were parked wherever they could squeeze in. At 2 pm. the small pull-off on the north side of Greenleaf lake was full with 12 cars. Those folks hiked up the BPA Road which is blocked by a cable, but does not yet have signs for No Trespass. Earlier in the day, hikers parked on the road past the old resort, some blocking driveways, where owners chastised them. Hikers were walking around the gated resort entrance, through the property to get to the Dick Thomas Trail. I suspect it is only a matter of time before more signs go up, fines are levied and law enforcement folks make weekend passes through the area issuing tickets, warnings, whatever."

Unfortunately, if folks insist on barging through private property, including at Greenleaf Slough (which in the past always tolerated a certain amount of traffic), it's going to make it more difficult to come up with a long-term solution. The private landowners in the Greenleaf Slough area, even those sympathetic, are having their patience tried by the hordes who don't want to do the longer hike.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 1st, 2017, 6:58 am

Loved the cloud shots, especially!
pablo wrote:I can say conclusively, speaking for everyone who might want to hike to Table Mtn this year, with the exception of Sean Thomas and Joerunner, that starting from N. Bon is not feasible given the additional miles and elevation gain (the added section goes up and down, up and down so much my cumulative elevation gain for this hike was over 4500').
Sure sounded like a dare to me! ;)
Went up yesterday. Paul's not kidding. It's ugly up there, and definitely a long haul. I think I may have also been (almost?) the only one making footprints, too. Saw one other set, but not sure they were same day's. My (cleaned) track came in a bit over 17.5 miles and 4600' too. That landslide is a roller-coaster!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pablo

Post by pablo » April 7th, 2017, 10:24 pm

How did the meeting mentioned a while back go?

I'm thinking the Kidney Lake Rd (the nice road that takes off towards Kidney Lake just before the hot springs) has easements for both DNR and the Forest Service as it cuts across both ownerships after crossing private ground - could be the public has access also. The quarry up there would also have an easement. In Google Earth I don't see any gates on the road. According to Skamania Co GIS, Gillette lake is on FS property so if you can drive there, you can park. This would be an acceptable TH for me. At the very least you can ride a bike to it.

BTW, I ran into this article from the Columbian:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/apr/ ... dney-lake/

So Mr. Cam bought the property recently.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.