First tracks at Eagle Creek & Wahclella - Jan 8th, 2017

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

First tracks at Eagle Creek & Wahclella - Jan 8th, 2017

Post by Don Nelsen » January 10th, 2017, 5:13 pm

I hiked Eagle Creek 8 days in a row from Jan. 1 through Jan 8. (Also, I added a couple of extra hikes on the 4th and 6th but those are for another TR). Sunday Jan. 8th I decided just a short hike up Eagle Creek to see the results of the overnight snow & ice storm. First, since it was on the way, I decided to hike up to Wahclella Falls and was rewarded with first tracks for the day.

Cascade Locks conditions before I set out on my hikes:
https://youtu.be/DrcKkQSqkEQ

The first quarter mile of trail is flat and relatively easy though covered in about 6 inches of fresh snow. Here is the waterfall at the bridge:

Ice pellets were cascading down from the cliffs above completely obscuring the route but the accumulations were loose and never more than a foot and a half deep so no problems - yet.

At about 1/2 way to the falls the deltas of ice were too deep and loose to safely traverse to I reluctantly gave up my quest! You can see in this shot an ice pellet "waterfall" top center. These accumulations erased footsteps in seconds after passing!

Tanner Creek, nearly choked with floating ice:

On to Eagle Creek:

The little bridge at the start:

The cascades of ice were quickly covering the trail but it was wider and easier to follow than at Wahclella:

Nice ice formations all along the route:

I took the side trail down to the base of Punch Bowl Falls but anchor ice had formed in the stream raising the water level in the pool and it was impossible to get a shot of the falls.

Monday, I knew Wahclella was out of the question so did a very short hike into the Eagle Creek canyon. (first tracks, of course!) A much changed view from the day before:
Here's that bridge at the start again:

A few more pics:
Looking too dangerous for me!!:

Time to go home!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

woodswalker

Re: First tracks at Eagle Creek & Wahclella - Jan 8th, 2017

Post by woodswalker » January 11th, 2017, 7:48 am

Great pics. Thanks for posting. It was so much fun to see spots that I had admired, change and shift in your photos!
Woodswalker

DouggieFir

Post by DouggieFir » January 12th, 2017, 12:42 am

Wonderful! First one out there is always nice to be!

UTurn

Post by UTurn » January 12th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Lovely! And a bit terrifying. :)