Lone group at Silver Falls 1/3

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Lone group at Silver Falls 1/3

Post by pdxgene » January 3rd, 2017, 4:13 pm

Jim, Matt and I headed down to Silver Falls this morning. They were closing off the Canyon Trail just as we were getting ready to start. We were parked next to the Sheriff so I told and showed him we had the gear we needed, we'd done this many times before and we were heading down. He didn't say "no". In my judgement, that means, ok... ;)
Yax-Trak or some sort of traction devices are absolutely mandatory. What a day to have it to ourselves...
Photo album here...
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101 ... source=pwa

And not even a hint of the slightest breeze...
Be jealous... :P

kelkev

Re: Lone group at Silver Falls 1/3

Post by kelkev » January 3rd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Beautiful! Several years ago I braved the icy trails at Silver Falls, without the proper equipment. Beautiful but stupid and scary. I escaped unscathed, but microspikes should have been on my shoes.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » January 3rd, 2017, 7:06 pm

Thanx... :)
It was so nice down there...
The lack of any breeze was a big surprise. Even with Yax-trax I was the only one crazy enough to go behind Middle North to the back side... :lol:

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 4th, 2017, 10:44 am

I don't agree that the sheriff's lack of response was the same as approval. I do wish that the trail closures would have stipulations regarding Yak-Trax and Micro Spikes if the issue is ice on the trail. Rock slides and tree falls could also be at issue in winter conditions, which would trump the footwear preparedness. Had you fallen and required assistance on a closed trail, I am fairly certain your rescue would have included a hefty bill for being on a trail posted as closed.

Nice pictures though. Glad you didn't have any mishaps.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 5th, 2017, 5:08 am

Nice. Solitude is good.
I can't recall the last time I saw another person on a hike, or even footprints in the snow, more than 1/4 mile from TH.
Your Silver Falls experience just adds to my temptation to go up Multnomah past the gate, but I haven't yet.

bb12creek

Post by bb12creek » January 9th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Trail closures are frustrating for sure. My biggest problem with them is the complete lack of consistency about what requires a closure. I can't say that I have a lot of respect for many of them. A great example is the "closure" on Eagle Creek Trail at the now bridge-less tributary, which is ridiculous under many to most circumstances. I understand the occasional need for a closure, but part of the appeal of being outside is making your own decisions and managing your own risk.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 10th, 2017, 9:53 am

There is a false assumption is thinking that you are making the "decision of risk" only for yourself.

Sadly, if you do something incredibly foolish and require evacuation, SAR is obligated to risk their lives (or, at least their safety and well being) to haul you out of your predicament. If there was no obligation of rescue workers, then I might be inclined to let you go risk your neck. However, someone would still have to do a retrieval days later.

I think more trails should be closed in icy conditions. Canyon trails are the ones I am thinking of. For example, it makes no sense to close Multnomah Falls, but leave Wahkeena Falls open. It actually creates a greater problem to find a locked gate when descending Multnomah Falls after legally ascending the Wahkeena route.

We are in a generation of "let me do what I want, but shame on you for letting me do it and get injured). Get rid of the liability laws that try to protect us from ourselves, and I might be more inclined to agree with self-determination in the face of danger.

5th

Post by 5th » January 10th, 2017, 2:46 pm

BigBear wrote:We are in a generation of "let me do what I want, but shame on you for letting me do it and get injured). Get rid of the liability laws that try to protect us from ourselves, and I might be more inclined to agree with self-determination in the face of danger.
We live in an overly risk-averse country. Americans have been deciding the risks of travel on public land for themselves since the country was formed. Only in recent years have we become a country of pansies, where everyone is concerned that someone's knee might get scraped.

We need to get back to "do what you want, but don't expect publicly-funded rescue, ever" IMO.