Deschutes day hike - new years eve 2016

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

Deschutes day hike - new years eve 2016

Post by arieshiker » January 1st, 2017, 7:41 am

After losing almost three months (most of March and April to eye surgery - most of November to back surgery), then the onset of a quite icy/snowy December made just leaving my garage a task, I at least got in my annual new years eve day hike at Deschutes State Park.

I hiked early to avoid as much of the low-hanging and way too in-your-face sun as possible, and needn’t have worried. It only showed up on my way back. Thick swirling fog kept it at bay most of the short morning hike - only five miles - which after so much down time I felt happy to get in.

I tried to get to Cottonwood Canyon earlier in the week, but the roads were just too iffy early in the day. Hard enough just getting out of Goldendale some mornings.

For me, the trail never disappoints, and hiking with snow around for one of the few times just added to the outing. There wasn’t much, but what there was made it such a stunning landscape when coupled with the fog, river and regrowing burn area. The air was icy cold, and when the breeze kicked up.....ohhhhh.....I tucked down inside the layers and just enjoyed how much better I liked this over my nice warm sofa - cold nose and all.

On the way back, the first train I’ve seen in a while lumbered by - so a final train of 2016 for Brian.

Hope everyone has a banner trail year for 2017.
Attachments
DSCN5138.JPG
DSCN5140.JPG
DSCN5147.JPG
DSCN5148.JPG
DSCN5152.JPG
DSCN5156.JPG

retired jerry

Re: Deschutes day hike - new years eve 2016

Post by retired jerry » January 1st, 2017, 9:29 am

thanks, that's a really nice trail in the winter

it looks like the snow is melted off enough I could camp :)

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » January 1st, 2017, 9:36 am

Easily Jerry - - the low side along the river had very little snow. I was passed on the way back by a couple who had overnighted up past the old RR car. Just cold and that freezing fog to deal with.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » January 1st, 2017, 7:50 pm

Your photos look cold!

I backpacked there last February. Slept warm enough. Next morning, put water in my pot to boil it, and watched the water form into an ice-ball, floating in the center. Twas cold.

Kelly

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 2nd, 2017, 6:20 am

that's what really makes a backpack fun, when your drinking water starts freezing. I hate it though, when the cap freezes and I can't get it open