Marble Mountains, May 1-4

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cunningkeith

Marble Mountains, May 1-4

Post by cunningkeith » May 5th, 2016, 9:54 am

Ready to hit some backcountry that is really away from it all? The Marble Mountains fit the bill. I just spent three nights there and didn’t see anybody the entire time (save for a few dayhikers during the first few minutes); the place was empty and wondrous.

I drove to Lovers Camp on the east side of the wilderness just because it was the shortest drive (5:45 from Portland to the trailhead according to google) (my actual drive time was longer with breaks). I traversed most of the wilderness from east to west, starting at Lovers Camp and ending up at Cuddihy Lakes on the west. (15 miles, one-way)

The hike from Lovers Camp up the Canyon Creek Trail was snow-free until about 5,000 feet. By the time that I reached Little Marble Valley, the snow was about four-feet deep. Climbing up to the Marble Rim Trail was the biggest challenge.

Here is a shot at the top of the ridge. It was great to reach a snow-free trail on the south side of the ridge.

Good view of Marble Mountain

The rest of the hike heads toward Spirit Lake and then to the Cuddihy Lakes. These trails are mostly south-facing and, therefore, were about 60-70% snow-free.

Looking south

There were some bear tracks along the way

And finally a bear (another one of my excellent wildlife shots!).

I reached Spirit Lake on the first night. Like a lot of the middle section of this hike, Spirit Lake is in a burn area, but not totally burned out. Two campsites were snow-free, which made for a much warmer night than having to camp on the snow.

Cool marble the next day on the way to Cuddihy Lakes

Cuddihy Lakes were lovely. I was glad that a few campsites had melted out.

Leading up to the trip, I had been watching the snowmelt progress and was confident that I would be hitting the Marbles at the very beginning of the snow-free backpacking season. As you can see from the pictures, this was more of a late-season snow-camp than an early season backpack.

The National Snow Analyses 3D Interface is super-cool and provides daily updates on the melt-out for anywhere in the U.S.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

Download the snow analysis overlay file and then open it on your computer (must have google earth). What I found, however, was the areas that were “snow-free” according to the analysis were still holding four feet of snow! So much for relying on technology. It made for more of an “adventure” than I had planned, especially since I had only packed my lite hikers for footwear.

For traction I only brought my Yaktrax, which really didn’t seem to help all that much in the slush.

Anybody have gear suggestions for better traction in the slush? I know it’s best to hike early morning after a freeze, but it didn’t freeze overnight and was mostly in the 60s during the day. This made for tough side-hilling. Other than that, though, this was a great trip to a stunning, out-of-the-way place.

P.S. The ranger at Fort Jones said that most of the cattle permits in the Marbles open for grazing on July 15, so get there before then!

drm

Re: Marble Mountains, May 1-4

Post by drm » May 5th, 2016, 9:59 am

Early season trips can be the best, but timing is so critical. I usually do them closer to home since I have a better feel for the timing around here and there are never any crowds near the snow. I expect that the bovine season also is the bug season.

For slush traction, I think snowshoes are really your only option, and that can be nasty if traversing/sidehilling any slopes.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 5th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Nice TR (and a good snow report). We were wondering if it was time for the Sky Lakes Loop - apparently not quite yet.

We were on this same trail in April 2015 (I thought your #2 photo of Marble Mtn looked familar) except then, thanks to the drought, Marble Mtn looked like this...

What a difference an El Nino makes! :)

LostTexan

Post by LostTexan » May 6th, 2016, 10:56 am

Thanks so much for the trip report, it was great! I am planning a backpacking trip too and have been monitoring snow level daily just by looking at what Hood River Meadows Resort reports : https://www.skihood.com/the-mountain/conditions
The resort is pretty close to where I am headed and my hoped for camping site is at 5700 elevation. As of today its 5 to 6 ft of snow there! I guess I shall have to wait!
Great bear sighting!
Was your trip everything you dreamed it would be?
I have been looking forward to mine all year.

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » May 7th, 2016, 7:18 am

Yes, the trip was really great.

Thanks VanMarmot for the April 2015 photo. It is crazy how much things change, year-to-year. The ranger said that the Marbles were at something like 98% snow water equivalent this year, so I guess the amount of snow I encountered was pretty "normal" for early May.

lordgares

Post by lordgares » January 23rd, 2024, 11:18 am

I feel like the bots are trying to become smarter... and yet they manage to imbed a totally hinky looking link in their reply.
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo