Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake

Post by drm » May 1st, 2016, 6:22 am

One of my regular spring trips is to backpack up Eagle Creek when the snow is receding, camp near the snow line and traipse up through the snow to the lake. I was a bit late this year since as it turned out the snow started literally a couple hundred yards before the lake. Some of the campsites are melted out but probably not the ones near the stairs. There was an occasional drizzle on the way up on Friday and clear skies coming down Saturday.

I looked around and could not see the camera, but nice to know. I did see a sheriff driving through the lot too.

Here is Tish Creek with the damaged bridge in the background - the bridge is in worse shape than it looks here. There is no indication that this is a closure. The sign recommended against fording this little creek, which people were lined up to do on my return Saturday. If it had been either of the two following bridges taken out, we would be SOL as there would be no way across.

Loowit Falls

The Tunnel

Twister Falls

My camp at "Two Creek" about 12 miles in

Junction at the start of the lake. The campground behind here was completely melted out. I met a trio who had camped on the north side. They came in via the PCT over Benson Plateau and said this was the first snow they had seen. They were heading to Timberline and seemed shocked when I told them the rest of their journey might be on snow.

Wahtum Lake, gorgeous as ever

BurnsideBob

Re: Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake

Post by BurnsideBob » May 1st, 2016, 6:33 am

Very nice. Thanks for the informative photo of the damaged bridge and the user bypass trail.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Boozeman

Post by Boozeman » May 1st, 2016, 8:36 pm

Thanks for the trail update and pics!!! I was under the impression that the trail was impassible due to the bridge damage, but it seems like it might not be as bad as I thought. :D

There were a few break ins at the Eagle Creek trailhead on Thursday or Friday. It's nice to see that some action has been taken to prevent any future incidents. Hopefully they can keep up the police drive bys to dissuade the people responsible from trying again.

Tyee55+

Post by Tyee55+ » May 1st, 2016, 9:22 pm

I have seen a lot of signs about cameras in both state and federal trail heads lately. Never have I seen a functioning camera. Saw one near tombstone pass that was hooked up to a old CB radio with no power supply. Look good but not functional.

kmcdade

Post by kmcdade » May 2nd, 2016, 8:02 am

I thought the trail had been declared CLOSED because of the bridge? No indication of that at the trailhead?
--Kathleen. Or K-Mac. As in KMC, because that's what people have taken to calling me here. :-)

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 2nd, 2016, 8:07 am

Headed to Timberline? bahahahaha :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

UTurn

Post by UTurn » May 2nd, 2016, 8:41 am

I spoke with the forest ranger on Sunday while at Multnomah Falls and the funds have been approved to repair the bridge at Eagle Creek as well as the trail to Triple Falls. However, they won't begin the repair process until after this season is over, having it repaired for summer of 2017.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » May 2nd, 2016, 9:49 am

Very nice! Thanks for the update. The Tish Creek crossing looks easy enough that I'd almost just as soon prefer for them to take the bridge out and not replace it.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 2nd, 2016, 10:29 am

drm wrote:I met a trio who had camped on the north side. They came in via the PCT over Benson Plateau and said this was the first snow they had seen. They were heading to Timberline and seemed shocked when I told them the rest of their journey might be on snow.
We crossed trails with them on the plateau. Can't add much more than that. Heh, assuming they somehow managed to make it over Lolo to Ramona, yeah, ain't gonna happen. :lol:
Tyee55+ wrote:I have seen a lot of signs about cameras in both state and federal trail heads lately. Never have I seen a functioning camera.
Not sure it was functioning, but we saw a camera pointed at the fee box at the Herman Creek TH the other day. (The NWFP requirements only specify that "security" be provided - not what they attempt to secure, right?!)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Hagbard Celine

Post by Hagbard Celine » May 3rd, 2016, 8:40 am

kmcdade wrote:I thought the trail had been declared CLOSED because of the bridge? No indication of that at the trailhead?
With Eagle Creek's popularity with all walks (pun!) of life it is better to say that the trail is closed so those not so accustomed to creek or river crossings wouldn't think that it's safe and approved. But even when water flow was at it highest Tish was never really any issue (especially if you have trekking poles). There are plenty of crossings that are worse in their natural state, such as the log jam at Oneatta or the crossing before the Chinook bridge at Siouxon.
“I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”
― Booker T. Washington