101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
mattisnotfrench

101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 21st, 2016, 4:13 pm

After publishing my first book, Off the Beaten Trail, I decided to cover a theme further away but even closer to my heart for my second book. I grew up in Salem, exploring the Opal Creek and Mount Jefferson areas almost exclusively. Although I moved away at age 16, these areas remained near and dear to my heart. After three years of long days, long weekends and long summers I have published my second book, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region:

It was a lot of work, a lot of hiking and a lot of really long, tiring days. I spent all of the summers of 2014 and 2015 toggling between work here in Portland and weekends spent in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region. The paltry snowpack last winter allowed me to make a significant amount of progress towards finishing the book, and I wrapped up the hiking portion of my book project in early November of last year.

Here are some photos from the summer and fall of 2013:

Here is a sampling of photos from 2014:

2015 was a very productive year. Here are photos from last year, the final year of book research:

Overall, I hiked around 1,200 miles, drove about 15,000 miles, encountered bears, mountain goats, giant salamanders and spotted owls, went through four pairs of boots and spent more nights in front of my computer typing, editing and formatting than I could count - and I couldn't be more proud. Not only does the book cover 101 hikes from the Molalla River to the Metolius River, and from Table Rock to Table Lake, but I also detail resorts, lookouts, campgrounds, and drive-up viewpoints. I think a lot of people here will really enjoy the book.

If you want to know more about the book, please see my website. Here you can not only read about the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, but also purchase both the book (as well as copies of Off the Beaten Trail). Buying through my website helps support local business, and you get a signed copy! I am also speaking at the Mazamas Mountaineering Center on Wednesday, April 6, where I will also be selling copies of 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region.

Thanks for reading, and keep exploring the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Crusak

Re: 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region

Post by Crusak » March 21st, 2016, 7:08 pm

My copy arrives in the mail Wednesday! :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » March 22nd, 2016, 6:33 am

I'm really looking forward to this one! My copy should be arriving Thursday!!!

Peder

Post by Peder » March 22nd, 2016, 9:07 pm

Cool Matt - if things go as I plan, I will buy my copy on April 6th. I am getting great pleasure our of your Off the Beaten Trail guide.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Zia

Post by Zia » March 23rd, 2016, 4:55 pm

Purchased! This is in my backyard so to speak, and I can't wait to get my copy. :D

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 5th, 2016, 7:32 am

If anybody is interested I am speaking at the Mazamas Mountaineering Center tomorrow night at 7PM. It's going to be a fun night with lots of pictures, lots of stories and lots of new hikes. Hope to see you there!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Chazz

Post by Chazz » April 5th, 2016, 10:05 am

Looking forward to the presentation.

naturallog

Post by naturallog » April 5th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Thanks for the reminder on your talk, not to mention the effort on your new book! Looking forward to both.