top 5 injuries and your first aid kit...

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Koda

top 5 injuries and your first aid kit...

Post by Koda » September 28th, 2015, 12:05 pm

I heard it again... "dont forget to carry a first aid kit". I dont really, maybe a few bandaids and gauze pad for some cuts...

I was wondering if I should expand that but was thinking beyond a deep cut its more about what you need to do than it is anything that fits in a tiny kit. Figure if I'm going to haul extra stuff might as well be for something common. But forget about the first aid kit for a minute...

What are the top 5 injuries that can happen out hiking?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Re: top 5 injuries and your first aid kit...

Post by Koda » September 28th, 2015, 12:07 pm

my guess is...
>heart attack, stroke...
>choking
>heat exhaustion
>hypothermia
>sprain or broken bone

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 28th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I don't know what numbers 2-5 are, but number 1 has to be blisters, especially for new or occasional hikers. But even as someone who hikes in the same boots at least three times/week, blisters--rare as they are--are still far and away the injury I've had to deal with the most.

My list of common "fun killers" starts out like this:

1. Out of shape
2. Blisters
3. ...

Koda

Post by Koda » September 28th, 2015, 1:11 pm

your right, technically blisters are an injury (I usually carry some duct tape) but I forgot about that because I was thinking more along the lines of more life threatening injuries for this thread. Although blisters can certainly be painful enough to warrant a permanent place in a first aid kit.

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » September 28th, 2015, 1:38 pm

I carry a small first aid kit and have multiple things in my backpack that can be repurposed in an emergency. Years ago I asked the same question you pose Koda so I could be better prepared as a solo hiker.

What I ultimately did was read through the wilderness first-responder and wilderness first-aid course outlines and bought an older version of The Outward Bound Wilderness First-Aid Handbook by Jeffrey Isaac to read.

And yeah, I actually read it ... I spent one penny plus $3.99 for shipping for the 1998 edition. I feel more prepared to handle basic situations and improvise.

Your post reminded me it's time to get the book off the shelf again and flip through it. Thanks for the unintended prompting.
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 28th, 2015, 1:46 pm

BEE STINGS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-fEPRc ... e=youtu.be
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 28th, 2015, 3:14 pm

I take anti-hystamine for bee stings

aspirin for heart attack/stroke

leuko-tape for blisters

several band-aids and butterfly closures

space blanket for hypothermia

tweezers

Leatherman Micra

whistle

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » September 28th, 2015, 4:49 pm

I carry an ace bandage to use in conjunction with my trekking poles for an emergency splint; benadryl in case of histamine reaction in us or the dog caused by bees, snakebite or something we can't identify; these packs of powder that I bought at RiteAid that EMTs use to seal a seeping wound with an emergency scab (you dump the powder into the wound, and it effectively packs it so nothing else can get in); Leatherman tool and big blister pads (the kind that stay on for a few days. Buy any kind except the Bandaid brand, which tears off the skin :o ). I should probably carry bandaids, too, though, as a near-impalement that glanced off and ended up gouging me instead in Indian Heaven recently needed a bandaid and I had to borrow one from CraigG :roll: Luckily, he was more prepared in that department than I was. A lost limb, or broken bone? I had it covered. Simple bandaid? Nope :lol:
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 29th, 2015, 7:56 am

A few thoughts in addition to the above:

1. Antihistamine for allergic reactions including stings and bites--be sure to get the clear gelcap form of Benadryl because it absorbs into the system much faster than tablets. Speed is important if you are trying to prevent a serious reaction to a sting. If you have several gelcaps on hand you can also puncture one and apply the liquid topically for a rash etc.

2. Anyone who has a known allergy to bees, etc., should talk their doctor about carrying an epi-pen which injects epinephrine to prevent shock.

3. Some sort of antiseptic/antibiotic for cleaning wounds, blisters, etc., is a very good idea to prevent infection.

4. Imodium tablets for diarrhea, which can be a serious problem in the wilderness because it can quickly lead to dehydration.

5. If you suffer a sprain or similar injury, anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen or naproxen) and pain relievers (acetaminophen) can be a big help while you walk back to the car. A cold pack is a great thing to have but is a bit heavy to carry around all the time.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » September 29th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Items in my first aid kit not mentioned here:

- superglue. Very useful for emergency gear repair and closing a deep gash. Liquid sutures...
- Zinc oxide cream (aka diaper cream) in a small plastic container. Chaffing can turn a good hiking day into torture.
- Clothes pins. Poke your blisters or use them to secure the wrapping for a sprain.
- Nitrile gloves. Not for you, but you may be called to assist with someone else's bad day.