Benson Plateau

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Benson Plateau

Post by drm » April 3rd, 2015, 5:43 pm

Time to do this standard again. Plan was to take the PCT from Herman Creek and camp at Hunter's Camp. When I got to the plateau, there was a storm of water and ice falling from the trees. I decided it would not be fun to camp under or on this, so decided to backtrack to Teakettle Camp. I was rewarded for this by dry ground and the sun coming up over Nick Eaton Ridge with my coffee the next (this) morning. It was in the mid 50s when I left the Herman Ck TH yesterday but got chilly up high and later. Probably close to freezing.
bp1.jpg
Herman Creek at the bridge
bp2.jpg
New snow on Green Point Plateau and Tomlike Mtn
bp3.jpg
Ice fallen from the trees on the northern end of Benson Plateau - you can't see much is still falling in this photo. Lots.
bp4.jpg
Teakettle Camp on the PCT
bp5.jpg
A VERY MEAN cloud blocks my sun briefly this morning.

texasbb

Re: Benson Plateau

Post by texasbb » April 3rd, 2015, 6:27 pm

Thanks for the report, Dean. So Teakettle is at what, about 3400 ft? An your snowy pic is at about 3800? So at what point in between does the snowy ground start?

BTW, I don't consider a cloud mean unless it tries to kill me.

drm

Re: Benson Plateau

Post by drm » April 3rd, 2015, 6:45 pm

The snow started right above Teakettle (yeah, 3300 or 3400), but the falling ice wasn't really an issue till on the northern tip of the plateau, so more like 3600 or 3700. Of course it has all fallen by now and won't last too long on the ground.

You might say that about clouds. But it was cold this morning and I could really feel the difference when it sent behind that cloud. But I knew it would be back shortly! I've camped at Teakettle Camp many times and there always seems to be a cloud hanging over Nick Eaton Ridge trying to ruin my morning. This morning it was short-lived and warmed up quickly.