Upper Starvation Creek Falls and a Forgotten Fall

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Rustygoat

Upper Starvation Creek Falls and a Forgotten Fall

Post by Rustygoat » January 26th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Melinda and I got out last weekend 1/16 and 1/18 avoiding the massive downpour that happened on Saturday. Friday the 16th turned out to be a great afternoon. The clouds parted by the time I was done with work so off to the gorge to explore a possible waterfall that I noticed while looking over Google Earth. This possible waterfall looked tall, really tall. So where could a really tall waterfall be hiding in the gorge you may ask? :?: How about right next one the most popular gorge trails...Angles Rest! :shock: Melinda and I parked at the quickly filling parking lot for Angles Rest and headed out in the opposite direction of the other hikers.
_DSC2421.jpg

Just a short distance up the road there is an unnamed creek that flows down towards the Bridal Veil Post Office. This little creek always seems to be flowing even in the summer. Not sure what used to be on the lot here but this is what currently haunts this lot.
_DSC2191.jpg

I had ventured up this creek years ago but only to the old waterworks. I couldn't see anything else up the stream so I turned around there. The dam and pipes seemed a lot younger in age than most others in the gorge, not as cool either. The waterworks
_DSC2374.jpg

We made our way upstream and in no time we could see a waterfall through the trees. This fall is about 180ft tall and the amphitheater is massive. I believe Melinda said it is made up from the Troutdale Formation.
_DSC9237.jpg

Melinda looking up at the fall.
_DSC9195.jpg

I thought it was odd that I couldn't find any information of this fall especially given it's proximity to Palmer Mill Rd. It is only about 1500ft up from the road and the only reason it isn't visible is because of the trees. At one time this fall would have been clearly visible from the old highway....but over the years it has been forgotten. If anyone else has any information or history about this fall...please chime in and let us know. As for now...I am referring to this fall as Forgotten Falls.
_DSC9169.jpg

Originally we had planned on hiking the next day to chase down another waterfall. Torrential rains kept us on hold and gave us an excuse to put away the last of the Christmas stuff. :roll: All rested and ready to go we headed out Sunday 1/18 towards the gorge again. Upper Starvation Creek Falls was on the radar for the day. The upper fall is located just over a mile upstream from the big Starvation Creek Falls. The plan was to hike the ridge trail up about a mile and drop down into the canyon and see the falls. I should have had a clue how this day was going as I passed this sign. :roll:
_DSC2729.jpg

The weather seemed to be cooperating and we got a few sun-breaks.
_DSC2745.jpg

We even got to see a rainbow while looking down at our car.
_DSC2755.jpg

This was the first time either one of us has been on Starvation Ridge. We were happy to take in the view. :)
_DSC2855.jpg

Up the ridge we went. Eventually we got to were I thought we needed to jump off-trail.....I was wrong! :roll: :oops: After a very difficult descent to the creek I realized that I screwed up. This side cascade was about 1/3 of a mile downstream from where we wanted to be. :oops:
_DSC2761.jpg

I can't always be right...so since I am stubborn, we continued along the creek heading upstream instead of going back up to the trail. This was the most difficult canyon Melinda and I have made our way through in quite a while. Tons of blow-down and thick underbrush made our journey miserable.....and then it started to pour! :cry: It was looking bleak and I told Melinda we should probably bag the trip and try again on another day...she said 5 more minutes. And just like that there was a clearing in the brush and the rain stopped and we could see a waterfall through the trees. :mrgreen: A good 60ft tall Upper Starvation Creek Falls
_DSC9336.jpg

But what was that over there? :o :shock: An 80ft second fall!!! :P
_DSC9337.jpg

Two for one, I guess it was worth it. ;)
_DSC9342.jpg

Really neat that we got here...another one to scratch off the list. After enjoying the falls and a late lunch we packed up and started to drag our soggy selves out of the canyon. I immediately spotted a game trail that went up, we were both in ecstatic! It climbed steeply but was a clear path...in fact we didn't have to climb over a single log on the way out. :D By the time we got down off of the ridge we were pretty beat up and it was getting dark. Cabin Creek Falls was raging!
_DSC2885.jpg

It was too dark to go check on Warren Falls so we headed back to the car. After returning home I saw on Facebook that Warren Falls had been flowing that day.....doh! Oh well... that just gives us a reason to head out there next time it's pouring. ;)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

mandrake

Re: Upper Starvation Creek Falls and a Forgotten Fall

Post by mandrake » January 26th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Wow, nice work there on Upper Starvation! Way to go get it! Your description there sounds just like my experience visiting Upper Warren Falls last year. The whole Defiance area got clobbered in a major ice storm a few years back and all that debris has been washed down into the drainages. Woof!

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 29th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Nice work, that first fall is tall! Crazy big amphitheater too. Bet it looks even better after some heavy rain
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 29th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Thank you for documenting that falls near Bridal Veil. I've wandered through there in the summer when there's not much water coming down but never took the effort to do what you two did. Great job!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » February 5th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the compliments! Mandrake... thank you for the heads up about Upper Warren, I'll make sure we don't do that one in the pouring rain. Don...it's not that bad going up that creek, you should check it out. I agree with Brian that it would be pretty impressive after a good rain.
Tim

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 8th, 2017, 12:01 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:Nice work, that first fall is tall! Crazy big amphitheater too. Bet it looks even better after some heavy rain
How about some ice? Inspired by Rustygoat's TR, I set out 1/7/2017 to see how things looked. Would have been fun to recreate the Starvation trip too, but I didn't feel comfortable driving that far into the gorge.
Attachments
a0.jpg
a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
a4.jpg
a5.jpg
a6.jpg
Looking down on the lip of the falls. This was not a worthwhile endeavor. Lots of bushwhacking, virtually no reward.
a7.jpg
The disappointing lip of the falls.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 8th, 2017, 12:19 pm

And some manmade curiosities:
Attachments
b1.jpg
Maybe I should have brought a contribution.
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
There are lots of abandoned utility poles rotting away in the gorge, but this was cut, and recently enough that it was evident from the crisp square edge.
b4.jpg
Probably wouldn't have spotted this, but I saw ice in a place where it didn't make sense, so went to investigate.
b5.jpg
Hard to get up close to, brushy and sloppy wet.
b6.jpg
I hope their degree was in Environmental Studies or something equally ironic.
b7.jpg
Circling over the falls, I saw a sign in the distance, and wondered what neat artifact I had discovered. Boo!
b8.jpg
I knew it would be cold, so I brought my Winter Coat.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 8th, 2017, 12:55 pm

oh no, another one of those dead balloons :)

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » January 25th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Great pictures Chip! I wish I had thought of heading up there in the ice. I didn't think that little creek would even have any flow in the cold weather. Good thing you had your winter coat on that trip :P
Tim

merelunacy

Post by merelunacy » January 26th, 2017, 6:13 am

Very cool Chip! I've always jested about going to Forgotten Falls, but I get the same rebuke about the flow isn't worth it. Glad the ice gave you some payoff for it. Love the photos, thanks for sharing! :D