Benson Plateau Lillipop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Benson Plateau Lillipop

Post by drm » September 27th, 2013, 11:52 am

Like many of us, I had more ambitious plans for the weekend. Unlike texasbb, I ain't going backpacking when downpours are forecast, especially this bad.

Fortunately I was able to take a shorter trip Thursday and Friday and decided to lillipop the Benson Plateau. From Herman Ck TH, I crossed the bridge, joined the PCT. Followed it to the far/southern end of the plateau and circled back via the Benson Way trail to camp at Hunters Camp, where Ruckel Creek was a small brook now, probably it's low flow of the year, given the approaching storm. I had the place to myself last night, but saw another tent from a late-arriver this morning. Didn't hear them arrive.

This morning I finished the Benson Way and returned to my car in 3 hours. Not a drop of rain - until I got to the car.

Starting up

Herman Creek - at it's low flow for this year

Herman Bridge trail - mossiest trail in a mossy area

PCT on the Benson Plateau

Ruckel Creek at Hunters Camp

Camp

More shroomage on the Benson Way trail

Peder

Re: Benson Plateau Lillipop

Post by Peder » September 27th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Dean - You are just the master of small overnight getaways!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 27th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Nice, Dean. I've never been on Benson this late in the year; it's interesting to see how much water's left in the creek. One of these days I want to do Ruckel Ridge on the last day before Benson gets snowed under.

And I guess I'll 'fess up that my forecast never had rain probabilities higher than 60% or expected accumulations more than a quarter to half inch. Certainly nobody was talking 10 inches! :o

drm

Post by drm » September 27th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Peder wrote:Dean - You are just the master of small overnight getaways!
Location, location, location (i.e. living in the Gorge).

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » September 27th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Great idea for a campout before the big storm. I must have just missed you. I was out on the Herman Creek Trail for a bit this morning and got back to the TH around 10 am.