Lewis River Canyon, Day 2, Wazoos of Waterfalls 5-12-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
payslee

Lewis River Canyon, Day 2, Wazoos of Waterfalls 5-12-13

Post by payslee » May 13th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

airoff

Re: Lewis River Canyon, Day 2, Wazoos of Waterfalls 5-12-13

Post by airoff » May 13th, 2013, 3:33 pm

It's incredible up there, huh? Did you happen to run across the Kum Back Shelter? :P
13684879460500.jpg
I've always been intrigued by that.

Thanks for all the great photos! What an awesome trip!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 13th, 2013, 5:12 pm

payslee wrote:ridiculously cool!
Whoa! "What she said." :shock:

I wanna go there, now! Thanks so much for these reports!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Looks like you caught all the waterfalls at full bore! I have never seen Hemlock Falls flowing, and have even seen Curly Creek Falls bone dry.

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » May 13th, 2013, 6:19 pm

I am so glad you posted this report! :D My girlfriend and I were visiting this awesome place 5/10 - 5/11...we just missed you. We had just finished hiking up to Taitnapum Falls and back down to the Lower Lewis River Falls just before noon. After that we stopped off at Big Creek Falls and saw what you did, the damaged viewpoint. Here is a picture from where the viewing platform should have been put at Big Creek Falls.
IMG_4699.JPG
We made our way down to the Hemlock Falls viewpoint and took in the view. On our way back we talked about climbing down to get a better look at Cave Falls on another trip. But my girlfriend thought why not go today. :roll: There are many drops in that canyon and the river flows through a deep narrow gorge making it appear to be flowing out of a cave in some spots. I strongly recommend not going down there if you are not in good shape and good at climbing...it is very steep! :o Here is a picture of the top tier of Cave Falls...about 80-90 ft.
DSC00685.JPG
You can't really see it in that picture but there is a large cave at the top of this waterfall on the left side. No access without rappelling.
At Curly Creek Falls there are actually two arches, but the high flow of the falls is covering the lower arch right now. Thanks for the report and sharing your pictures Payslee. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » May 13th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Wow. Awesome post! I read your day one post too, and I had no idea that all of this existed.

I was at Siouxon Creek on Sunday (http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=15299), and I think the slightly rainy days are the best for hikes along waterways.

If you had to choose one section for a day hike of up to 8 miles round trip (and no scrambling), which trailhead would you start at?
Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 13th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Awesome! There's so many great waterfalls and adventures up there! That's hike 12 in my book. Such a great, great area...
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

drm

Post by drm » May 14th, 2013, 7:48 am

Actually, I think I remember the rock arch at Curly Creek Falls coming up here fairly recently. Apparently you aren't reading every single word in every single post! :roll:

I lived in the area for a few years before I "bothered" to get myself up to the Lewis River. Seemed far away and with fewer trails to justify it. Once I made it, it never was a bother again.

payslee

Post by payslee » May 14th, 2013, 8:54 am

Rustygoat wrote:After that we stopped off at Big Creek Falls and saw what you did, the damaged viewpoint. Here is a picture from where the viewing platform should have been put at Big Creek Falls.
IMG_4699.JPG
We made our way down to the Hemlock Falls viewpoint and took in the view. On our way back we talked about climbing down to get a better look at Cave Falls on another trip. But my girlfriend thought why not go today. :roll: There are many drops in that canyon and the river flows through a deep narrow gorge making it appear to be flowing out of a cave in some spots. I strongly recommend not going down there if you are not in good shape and good at climbing...it is very steep! :o Here is a picture of the top tier of Cave Falls...about 80-90 ft.
DSC00685.JPG
You can't really see it in that picture but there is a large cave at the top of this waterfall on the left side. No access without rappelling.
Wow Tim, thanks for posting those!! After going in farther than we should have the day before we were being extra responsible on day 2. Cave falls is spectacular and that view of big creek falls (which my camera apparently didn't save, grumble grumble...) is why I was so surprised more folks didn't seem to take that little scramble trail.

And I am stunned and impressed you went down canyon to Cave Falls!! And will reiterate your warnings about the potential danger here. You fall, you die. :!: But it's one of the only places I've yet been that made me think - dang, I wish I could rappel off that tree right now!
At Curly Creek Falls there are actually two arches, but the high flow of the falls is covering the lower arch right now. Thanks for the report and sharing your pictures Payslee. :)
What?! TWO arches?! We are spoiled for gratuitous beauty out here. Just another reason to keep going back...

-payslee

payslee

Post by payslee » May 14th, 2013, 9:06 am

LisaDHolmes wrote:Wow. Awesome post! I read your day one post too, and I had no idea that all of this existed.

I was at Siouxon Creek on Sunday (http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=15299), and I think the slightly rainy days are the best for hikes along waterways.

If you had to choose one section for a day hike of up to 8 miles round trip (and no scrambling), which trailhead would you start at?
Hi Lisa,

If you've never been to the Lewis River area at all, I would say start at the Lower Falls Recreation Area / campground and head upstream. There are a series of beautiful falls along the river and a good easy-moderate trail to see them all. This section can be busy in the summer as it is shared with cyclists. An out-and-back trip along the Lewis River from Lower Falls to Upper falls is only about 5.6 miles RT. Which leaves you plenty of mileage left to visit Big Creek Falls (1.4 miles round trip. No scrambling required, the trail is a good one even with the current wind damage). And if you still have the energy, Curly Creek is literally about 200 yards from the viewpoint parking area. Matt's got directions in his book, and these are all really easy to find even with just a road map. Lower Falls campground is on Forest Road 90, and unless you are coming the back way from Mt. Adams, you'll drive right past Big Creek Falls TH on the way.

Have fun up there! Post pictures - especially if you catch this extra arch at Curly Creek Falls.

-payslee