Elk Lake or Trapper Creek?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
baker9903

Elk Lake or Trapper Creek?

Post by baker9903 » August 5th, 2008, 7:27 am

So I'm taking a friend on her first backpack. Ideally, we would do either Opal Creek or Eagle Creek, but both are out of the question due to crowds. I want to wow her so she goes again, and not be singly responsible for my friend never going outside again. I am thinking 3-5 relatively flat miles to a nice campsite where we are likely to not see anyone. I'm considering starting at Elk Lake and camping at Battle Creek. The ranger says the road up there is passable by car, but the campground is under snow. Negatives to this one are drive distance and possible snow issues. My other option is Trapper Creek, just intending to head into the wilderness and find a campsite (Sullivan says there is small one about 3 miles in). Negatives for this trip are that I have never actually gone that direction in Trapper Creek and am unfamiliar with the trail, and not knowing exactly where to camp.
I'm leaning towards Elk Lake because I know that trail fairly well, I think we'll have a better chance of solitude, and its simply a beautiful area. Anything else I should consider?

ElphabaNorthWest

Re: Elk Lake or Trapper Creek?

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » August 5th, 2008, 8:22 am

If you are thinking of Trapper Creek Wilderness, Soda Peaks Lake (from the easier direction http://nwhiker.com/GPNFHike58.html) might be a good option. I did that last year with my kids (Age 8 & 4) last year and they had no problems with the distance/elevation. We went in October, so there weren't any other people camping, but it might be more crowded at this time of year. A few pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/celiac_pho ... 443614151/
I don't know for sure that there isn't any snow, but the top elevation on the trail is 4380' which should be low enough to be snow free by now.

drm

Post by drm » August 5th, 2008, 8:34 am

There are about three campsites right next to the trail on Trapper Creek, and a couple more a bit farther off. It's a good place for deep, thick forests and pretty creeks, but not at all for long-distance views (unless you hike up to Observation Peak) or for waterfalls. If you go this way, make sure to stay on the Trapper Creek trail at all the junctions, which are well signed, to find the campsites.

The first main camping area, called Terrace Camp, is less than three miles in. There are no big hills on the hike, but there is some up-and-down, some of which are steep for a short distance. There's a small camp just after Hidden Creek, and a larger one called Ici B&B that is probably 4 miles in. You could dayhike up maybe an hour past there to a nice spot with a view of Trapper Creek Falls. There is also a signed junction called Rendezvous Flats. The trail soon disintegrates into thick brush. But somewhere on the other side, there must be a nice spot - that's something to explore on a future trip.

As to solitude, you didn't say if you were going on a weekend or not. You are likely to have it all to yourself on a weekday. On weekends, there will likely be a few other campers, but it never gets crowded. Because the area is small, most people don't think of it as a backpacking area.

I haven't been to Elk Lake, so I can't compare the two for you.

Soda Peaks Lake is open and clear from all directions. It is popular on weekends. The trail mentioned above is short, but it is not flat. It is quite steep, gaining about 900 feet to cross over the ridge.

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 5th, 2008, 9:16 am

From the Detroit Ranger District current conditions:

Date: 7-31-08
Subject: Camp Grounds
See Tripplanning section > North Santiam Travel Corridor > List View on this web site for camping information.

All campgrounds are now open.
Elk Lake is open -- but with limited access due to snow. Road to the campground is free of snow. The back loop of the campground still has 3 - 4' snow drifts. Mosquitoes are fierce
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com