Best hike in the rain?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
zombie

Best hike in the rain?

Post by zombie » July 31st, 2008, 10:00 am

So here is an interesting question for everyone...

It seems like more often than not, the days I have available to get out on the trails wind up being the rainy ones. Doesn't matter how many days of sunshine we have in a row, the fates align to bring the gray skies and drizzles back just in time for my hikes. Seeing as how I am heading out again tomorrow, and the forcast is again calling for rain (just for the one day, mind you), I have begun rethinking my original plan.

Knowing I am not alone in this, as we all have the experience of being hikers in and around a rainforest, I was wondering what some of your favorite rainy-day trips are? With the assumtion that Eagle's Creek is the standard default answer, where else do you all like to get out to when the views are bad, the weather cold and the trails muddy?

-aaron

OneSpeed

Re: Best hike in the rain?

Post by OneSpeed » July 31st, 2008, 10:23 am

I like anything in an old-growth forest in the rain: Salmon River, Siouxon, Opal Creek, even Bagby. Soaking in the tubs with a light rain falling is pretty cool.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » July 31st, 2008, 10:34 am

Part of it depends on temperature. When it rains, I avoid colder areas, where it might turn into snow or sleet. I avoid the Gorge if winds are forecast. A tree falling on on your head can really ruin an otherwise great hike.

Rain in the northwest typically comes with fog and low dark clouds, so view hikes are pointless. These are days I try to hit forested areas, where most of the enjoyment comes from nearby sites.

Photographers are limited to short range shots, so I search out areas with lots of small, cool things. This time of year there are lots of flowers that make great water-dropped shots. I captured a lot of them on Sunday.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=17&t=501

Of course, we're lucky enough to live in an area with several climates within reach. It might a good day to head east.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 31st, 2008, 10:50 am

A hike where there aren't many views for the rain to spoil. Thru the forest under the trees to stay a little more dry, maybe along a river. Silver Falls or Ramona Falls are a couple close ones that come to mind.

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » July 31st, 2008, 2:24 pm

I like to do Silver Falls in the rain. The waterfalls are more intense and the trees are think enough to keep you pretty dry.

kelkev

Post by kelkev » July 31st, 2008, 2:59 pm

Ditto for Silver Falls. Awesome in the fall, winter, and spring, especially in wet weather.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 31st, 2008, 8:30 pm

kelkev wrote:Ditto for Silver Falls. Awesome in the fall, winter, and spring, especially in wet weather.
I sometimes like to hike over to the cabinet and grab a long stemmed glass and bottle of wine and put my feet up and watch the rain fall on the window.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » July 31st, 2008, 10:15 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:
kelkev wrote:Ditto for Silver Falls. Awesome in the fall, winter, and spring, especially in wet weather.
I sometimes like to hike over to the cabinet and grab a long stemmed glass and bottle of wine and put my feet up and watch the rain fall on the window.

Indeed!