Mount St. Helens

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
tambli

Mount St. Helens

Post by tambli » July 17th, 2008, 8:21 am

Hello,

I am planning to hike to the summit of Mount St. Helens this fall and was just wondering if anybody can give me some ideas on how to get into shape and prepare for the hike. I hike pretty regularly but usually only about 5 - 8 miles and the elevation gain is going to be much greater than what I'm used to. I've been doing some steeper hikes in The gorge but I was hoping for some tips that I could use at the gym or at home. With gas at over $4/gallon I don't want to be driving out to The Gorge every week. Any information or tips would be graetly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tami

BCJ

Re: Mount St. Helens

Post by BCJ » July 17th, 2008, 10:23 am

Hiking steep trails is really the best way to get prepared; Ruckel Ridge, Mt. Defiance, Dog Mountain, Kings Mountain, etc. are good places to get your legs prepared. If you don't want to drive to those places then you'll probably want to spend a lot of time on a stair-climber at the gym. A good way to get your legs ready for the hike up St. Helens is to go up Defiance 5-7 days before you go...that will get your legs used to the steep and sustained climbing that you'll experience on St. Helens.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 17th, 2008, 10:42 am

I dunno... with the exception of having a better surface to walk on, I think Mt. Defiance is actually a HARDER hike than St. Helens; it's the same elevation gain, but quite a bit longer. I'd second the Ruckel Ridge recommendation, though.

BCJ

Post by BCJ » July 17th, 2008, 10:50 am

I think Defiance is easier because of the surface and the fact that it spends most of its time in the trees so the sun doesn't drain like it does on St. Helens. It's also more than 3000' lower so the altitude isn't as much of a factor. I agree, though, that they're pretty similar in difficulty. I recommend it as a final warm-up because it will make the hike up St. Helens feel easier and more enjoyable and it really does have some spectacular views so anything to enhance the experience is a good thing.

fettster

Post by fettster » July 17th, 2008, 11:39 am

Depending on what side of Portland you are on the Kings Mountain suggestion, and neighboring Elk Mountain if you want to do the loop, might be your best bet for keeping your driving miles down for your training treks.

ElphabaNorthWest

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » July 17th, 2008, 11:43 am

I went up Table Mountain the weekend before St. Helens and that seemed like a good warm up. It's not as long or as steep though....

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 17th, 2008, 1:28 pm

I always recommend people doing St Helens is to start out from the trailhead at or before 5:00am because of the combination of no water source on the way and the exposed hiking so you can get the hardest climbing out of the way long before the hotest part of the day. More sun = more water = heavier pack = more strenuous climb = more water!

I second the Mt Defiance suggestion. If you can do that I can't see you having much problem with Mt St Helens. I had some anxiety before my first time and found it to be not as bad as i thought.

One more thing- gaitors would be a great idea and make sure you bring layers. It can be 90 degrees in Portland and 45 and blustery wind at the summit.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 17th, 2008, 3:49 pm

tambli wrote: With gas at over $4/gallon I don't want to be driving out to The Gorge every week. Any information or tips would be graetly appreciated!
Do a West Hills hike, and repeat it several times, for example http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... Crest_Hike

joerunner

Post by joerunner » July 17th, 2008, 9:00 pm

Aside from an actual trail run with lots of elevation gain, I also get on a treadmill at least once a week for an extended workout with steep grade at a hard pace. You really need to get your heart rate up several times a week for extended periods and the hill work will help to elongate and strengthen those calf muscles. I'd recommend some light stretching after your workouts too. The steepness and the elevation going up St Helens really gets the heart rate going so if your heart, lungs and legs aren't prepared it can be a long day.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 19th, 2008, 10:40 pm

For in town workouts you also might try Mazama rambles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is usually a group of hardy ramblers with an eye towards training. Look for the "difficult" rambles. They go for speed and often have routes with lots of stair climbing.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir