Suggestions for a newcomer?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
wessell

Suggestions for a newcomer?

Post by wessell » July 9th, 2008, 12:08 pm

I'm fairly new to Portland, not to hiking, but I need not-too-strenuous day hike suggestions after my knee replacement last fall. (As in, 5-8 miles, less than 2500-foot gain.)

Anyone have any favorites that might be good this weekend? Thanks!!

jeffstatt

Re: Suggestions for a newcomer?

Post by jeffstatt » July 9th, 2008, 12:38 pm

Hamilton Mountain might fit the bill nicely.
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... n_Mountain

Here's a shot of Hamilton Mountain, with Beacon Rock in the foreground:

What's nice about Hamilton is there are a number of nice spots along the way where you could feel ok about turning around if you feel like you want to turn around. At a certain point you have a decision to take the short/steep option or the longer/flatter option. My suggestion for you is to go up the steep way and down the back way. The steep way has nice views including this point which could be it's own turn around spot.

There are so many other suggestions I don't even know where to start. Your mileage and elevation suggestions are pretty ubiquitous.

Here's a great suggestion for a Portland newbie:
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike

wessell

Post by wessell » July 9th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Hey, thanks! "Lots of nice spots to turn around" is a perfect feature for someone with an iffy knee. I'm still testing (and pushing) my ability, but I'm eager to get outside and up up up! This network is wonderful...
Cheers,
Deborah

fellwalker

Post by fellwalker » July 9th, 2008, 1:18 pm

You might consider Cape Horn on the Washington side of the Columbia gorge. Elevation gain is about 1400' and it's not as crowded as Hamilton on weekends. It doesn't offer the same expansive views as Hamilton but it's a nice moderate hike through woods, meadows and a nice stretch directly above the river. Here's a link that will give you directions to the trail, a map and some testimonials from other hikers:
www.hikingupward.com/WSP/CapeHorn

Spoonie_B

Post by Spoonie_B » July 9th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Funny - the Multnomah/Wahkeena loop, Hamilton Mtn, and Cape Horn were the first three hikes I did when I moved to Portland last year. Can't go wrong with any of them! I just did Hamilton again this weekend (trip report) and recommend it on the strength of the many flowers currently in bloom. Angel's Rest would be a good moderate hike too. Have fun!

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 9th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Spoonie_B wrote:Funny - the Multnomah/Wahkeena loop, Hamilton Mtn, and Cape Horn were the first three hikes I did when I moved to Portland last year. Can't go wrong with any of them! I just did Hamilton again this weekend (trip report) and recommend it on the strength of the many flowers currently in bloom. Angel's Rest would be a good moderate hike too. Have fun!
Yes! Of course Angel's Rest! I've only been on that four times in the last weeks! Be sure if you go there to enjoy the new section of trail we built! :)