Pamelia limited entry zone as basecamp

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Walkin' Fool

Pamelia limited entry zone as basecamp

Post by Walkin' Fool » August 2nd, 2018, 3:53 pm

I have permits in a couple weeks for 2 nights (Fri - Sun) in the Pamelia limited entry area and I'm looking for:

(i) Recommendations on where to camp within that area. I'd prefer to stay in the same place for both nights, so I can optimize the whole day on Saturday for exploring with a light pack. I know better than to expect solitude, but the less people, the better.
(ii) Ideas for long-ish (15-22miles) dayhikes from camp. I plan on Jefferson Park Saturday, but is there anything that shouldn't be missed within/near that area, maybe off-trail? Scrambly's OK, but I don't want to pack a helmet or gear.
(iii) Ideas for dayhikes after setting up camp Friday. I'll be there in the morning, so will have most of the day, and I like mileage! Is it worth it to head south on Lake of the Woods Trail, or the PCT south for a ways?
(iv) Thinking of detouring to Grizzly Peak on the way out, but am open to other options!

It's crazy that I've never been to this area, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CampinCarl

Re: Pamelia limited entry zone as basecamp

Post by CampinCarl » August 3rd, 2018, 10:32 am

Camping-

Pamelia Lake is going to be the busiest. There is a giant campsite right as you approach the lake and last time I went in there were multiple families with kids, which is wonderful to see, but perhaps, eh, noisier. There are multiple campsites along the shore, some may have decent solitude. Good swimming at Pamelia Lake. Hunt's Cove is better, there should be more pickings for campsites and more solitude. There is no view of Jefferson at the campsites there but you can explore the south side of Hanks Lake and get a really nice view. Shale / Coyote Lake area is beautiful with the best view of Jefferson but you may face competition for sites.

Hiking-

Definitely do the Hunt's Creek trail up to Hunt's cove, then switchback up on the west side of the basin just under Lizard Ridge and take the long way around the basin. The ridgewalk view of Mt. Jefferson is wonderful in this section.
You could either then finish the loop past Coyote / Shale lakes or continue south on the PCT to an old trail down to the east side, toward Table Lake. See Matt Reeder's description in his book "101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region" for the best description of this route. This would be a good exploration if you're camping near Shale Lake. Also, PCT to South Cinder and/or Carl Lake would be nice. I haven't done Grizzly Peak yet, but it is on my list. From other's trip reports it looks like a great goal! Have fun and make sure you have your permit, I've seen rangers up there and they check!

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » August 5th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Thanks for the info and suggestions, CampinCarl! I've picked up Matt's book and I'm sure will get some other ideas there!

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » August 13th, 2018, 8:50 am

Cool! One point of clarification, the directions to the Table area are in the Heart of Jeff loop in the "101 Hikes in the Majestic Mt Jefferson Region". He has even clearer directions in the book "Off the Beaten Trail: 50 fantastic unknown hikes in NW Oregon and SW Washington", which is what I was thinking of originally... sorry about that. But, they're both great books!