Water on Mt Adams

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Luke

Water on Mt Adams

Post by Luke » July 17th, 2018, 6:55 am

I am planning on going up Mt Adams via the south climb trail-head this weekend and overnighting on the lunch counter. Does anyone know of any reliable water sources anywhere near the lunch counter? My understanding is that Morrison Creek is the only running water on the south climb trail, but that's not even too far from the parking lot. Is melting snow the only option for water at lunch counter? Is Morrison creek still flowing?

Thanks!!

dfs1109

Re: Water on Mt Adams

Post by dfs1109 » July 17th, 2018, 10:05 am

Last time I was on the Lunch Counter 2-3 years ago, I do not recall a reliable water source along the way. I took 3 liters of water with me and I didn't run out. I used the snow to melt and cook with to help conserve my drinking water.
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

Water

Re: Water on Mt Adams

Post by Water » July 17th, 2018, 12:13 pm

there's no creeks other than morrison I believe.. or whatever drains from the crescent 'glacier'.

You can often find drips of snow on the margins of LC where water will flow in the evening with snow melt, depending upon how much snow is still up and around there--ie I wouldn't plan on that in late august. They tend to stop flowing over night as it gets colder, don't bet on it going in the morning unless it's a total heat wave, even then the mnt cools off at night.

Definitely treat this water even if it looks clear and is likely coming from snow and flowing through fine volcanic rock - there's a considerable amount of feces buried around LC. Thankfully not visible but I don't trust water there like I do most places in the alpine.

otherwise, melt snow.
Feel Free to Feel Free