Herman-PCT loop hike

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Brian95

Herman-PCT loop hike

Post by Brian95 » July 11th, 2018, 5:16 am

Hello all,

I'm thinking of doing the Herman Creek-PCT loop from the Herman Creek Trailhead in the Gorge sometime in the next few weeks, probably taking some side trails along the way as well. Looking for recommendations on whether I should do the main loop clockwise (going up Herman Creek) or counterclockwise (starting on the PCT)? Also, which side trails (e.g. Benson Way, Mud Lake, Chinidere Mountain) would you recommend taking along the way?

drm

Re: Herman-PCT loop hike

Post by drm » July 12th, 2018, 4:53 am

You didn't say if you were doing a day hike or camping, and if the latter how many days.

I don't think the direction matters much except for camping. Herman Creek (and Wahtum Lake if you're going there) are very popular and busy on weekend whereas Benson Plateau camps are never too busy.

As far as side trips, Mud Lake is a muddy pond a few hundred yards off the trail, kind of meaningless. Benson Way has no views but gets off the wide PCT highway. Chinidere is great and very worthwhile. You didn't mention Tomlike Mtn on an unmaintained but fairly decent trail off Herman Creek near the Anthill junction. Very nice. Chinidere and Tomlike both have great views. There also is an old trail going down from Casey Camp to the confluence of the east and west forks of Herman Creek. Not particularly recommended, but an option if you want more sidehikes. There is also a rarely visited lake (no trail at all) off the PCT just north of Chinidere.

Note that I believe cross country is technically not allowed due to the fire closure. Some of these side trails are official maintained trails and some are not, and I'm not sure of the status of them. I'm not sure if you care about that either (!) but thought I'd mention it.

Brian95

Post by Brian95 » July 12th, 2018, 3:44 pm

I didn't say whether I'll be day hiking or backpacking because I haven't yet decided :). I'm a pretty serious runner so I'd think I could definitely do it in a day, but it would be the longest day hike I've ever done. I was thinking of camping one night at either Cedar Swamp or Benson Plateau if I did turn it into a backpack; I guess I can decide direction based on where I decide to camp. I'll definitely check out Chinidere and maybe Benson Way on the way (hah) since they're official trails, but since Tomlike isn't official I don't think I can do that one. Thank you for the info!

One more quick question, is Herman Creek Trailhead open for overnight parking? The field guide and USFS pages didn't mention it.

drm

Post by drm » July 13th, 2018, 6:05 am

Yes, you can park there overnight - if there is space. Cars used to just crowd the road away from the parking area but clear signs now don't allow this. Overflow would now be at the bottom of the hill. You will need a Northwest Forest Pass. I don't think I've ever seen a USFS trailhead that is not open for overnight parking.

On the Benson Plateau note that Benson Camp in the middle of the plateau is really prone to mosquitoes. Hunters Camp is much better, or you can grab water at either and choose a dry camp elsewhere. Herman Ck has few mosquitoes - and lots of people.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 15th, 2018, 3:47 am

One of the bigger factors may be whether you like to get "the big climb" in up front with a long and graceful descent, or slowly climb for miles and miles then come crashing down. The PCT section is steeper. I last did the loop CCW, to get up that first, and believe I enjoyed that more than the reverse. I much prefer steep ascents over descents.

Chinidere and Tomlike are both good detours along the route. Mud Lake, not so much.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Brian95

Post by Brian95 » July 15th, 2018, 10:19 am

Thank you both! I think I'll probably go up the PCT and down Herman if that is the case; I much prefer steeper uphills to downhills as well. If I do decide to backpack I'll probably camp at one of the camps on the Herman Creek trail then.

drm

Post by drm » July 15th, 2018, 1:31 pm

While the PCT side is certainly steeper than the Herman Creek side, I never thought of either one as particularly steep, which is odd since kepPNW is far more the large EG animal than I am. Since I never do dayhikes that long, it is all a question of timing for me. If a weekend, I camp on Benson Plateau, if a weekday I camp on Herman Creek. That means my camp is either 1/3 or 2/3 the way through the overall hike.