Best time of day to hike to third burroughs

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
tbritt2112

Best time of day to hike to third burroughs

Post by tbritt2112 » July 10th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Im flying into Seattle on Wednesday July 18 and will hike Burroughs Mountain on the 19th. Best time of day as far as getting good pictures? Morning? Middle of day with sun straight up or a little later in the day? Thanks!

BigBear

Re: Best time of day to hike to third burroughs

Post by BigBear » July 11th, 2018, 8:38 am

Snow fields might be your bigger problem than photos. The snowfield on the northern approach (Mt. Fremont side) can present quite an issue. The south side approach will tend to be safer.

The afternoon is bad because the sun would be behind the mountain. The morning is the best for pictures of the mountain, but any snowfields will be at their hardest that time of day.

tbritt2112

Post by tbritt2112 » July 11th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Thanks I will go during morning hours. I wasnt thinking bout snowfields. Please advise on South approach from Sunrise parking lot. Thanks.

drm

Post by drm » July 12th, 2018, 5:02 am

The national park website says as of July 9 that the Burroughs Mountain Trail has 3% snow cover and we have consistently hot weather forecast. My guess is that snowfields will not be an issue. I assume the southern trail mentioned is the one that goes from the White River campground instead of Sunrise, but you can check the website or ask rangers on the way in on the status of the trail.

tbritt2112

Post by tbritt2112 » July 27th, 2018, 3:05 am

Ok I did this hike last Sunday and Im not ashamed to say it wore me out. Im 55 with a bad knee and I live at 20 feet elevation close to the beach in Southeast North Carolina. Ive read its 9 miles round trip out there with about 1400 feet elevation gain. My question is, how many feet ascending do you actually do? I know from the parking lot at Sunrise to Second Burroughs is 1000 feet. From second burroughs to third, you go way down the valley to the low point then its all uphill to third burroughs from there. How many feet up is that? Its a long way I know that. When you leave third to go back to second, you drop back down to that low point then back up to second burroughs. How many feet is that? I know that from the low point up to third and back to second is not a gain in elevation. Im just interested in how many feet ascending does someone do when hiking out there.

This hike took me 9 hours. I did take a lot of pics and video on my way out, but I didnt take any on my way back. I just had to stop and take breaks quite often. It was hard!