Oneonta Gorge

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Fstbll5

Oneonta Gorge

Post by Fstbll5 » June 22nd, 2018, 11:17 am

Is it possible to make it to the ‘Trailhead’? The hwy is closed correct? Is it possible at all to get there?

Bosterson

Re: Oneonta Gorge

Post by Bosterson » June 22nd, 2018, 11:24 am

No. It's closed indefinitely. Nothing is open between Latourelle and the PCT. I would presume the Oneonta Gorge itself is full of fallen burned trees now anyway.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Fstbll5

Post by Fstbll5 » June 22nd, 2018, 12:01 pm

Has anyone been able to get back there to see what it’s like? If you only had time to do one hike (difficulty doesn’t matter) what would you do? Want the absolute best view and scenery but don’t want enormous crowd

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 22nd, 2018, 12:26 pm

There are photos on Tom's WyEast Blog: https://wyeastblog.org/2018/01/31/after ... rt-1-of-2/

As stated the area is closed. "Do one hike" where therefore? Anywhere in Portland area? The Gorge?

Fstbll5

Post by Fstbll5 » June 22nd, 2018, 12:41 pm

Coming on Family vacation and they’ll probably allow me to do one awesome hike in Gorge area and one awesome hike around Rainier. Need suggestions. Very fit but won’t have gear for tons of snow. Coming later this summer

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 22nd, 2018, 12:46 pm

I see. You prefer one hike to multiple short ones? (I make short but sometimes rugged hikes personally, and might have some suggestions.) What will you be driving and are you comfortable off paved roads?

Fstbll5

Post by Fstbll5 » June 22nd, 2018, 1:06 pm

Unfortunately we’ll be in a minivan. Short hikes are fine but longer is ok too. I just want some incredible sights

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 22nd, 2018, 1:14 pm

There is no snow in the Gorge at this point. There are plenty of places to go further afield that are spectacular, but if your only option outside Rainier is the Gorge, then you could try:

- Chinidere Mountain (either drive to Wahtum Lake and do it the short way, or start in the Gorge and hike up the long way via the PCT and Benson Plateau). Possibly crowded due to easy access from Wahtum, depends on when you go.

- Table Mountain. Less likely to be crowded now that it's a longer hike since the other THs closed.

(FYI, if you are looking for "views," Oneonta didn't have them to begin with...?)

Fstbll5

Post by Fstbll5 » June 22nd, 2018, 1:23 pm

Thank you. Any other suggestions that fall anywhere between Seattle and the Gorge? We’ll be in Hood River a couple days and we’ll be in Seattle some and I have a couple days that are flexible. Most will be family stuff but they’ll let me do a couple bucket list type hikes

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm

Fstbll5 wrote:
June 22nd, 2018, 1:23 pm
Any other suggestions that fall anywhere between Seattle and the Gorge?
If your car can get there, Tattoosh Peak (S of Rainier). Stuff in the S part of Goat Rocks could be nice depending on when you're there, but could be crowded. Literally anywhere in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness would be a good choice - throw a dart at the map. :)