Campgrounds as base for hiking Mt Hood area

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mulgravelad

Campgrounds as base for hiking Mt Hood area

Post by mulgravelad » June 10th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Hi all

I am visiting from Australia and looking to hike in the Mt Hood area 22-29 June. I was hoping to do the Timberline Trail but am too early due to snow and water levels so have switched my plans to setting up in a Mt Hood campground and do a series of day or overnight hikes at lower altitudes if possible.

I see there are quite a number of campgrounds in Mt Hood area and as I have no local knowledge I would welcome suggestions on which of these might be best located close to a series of good hikes with great views.

Chip Down

Re: Campgrounds as base for hiking Mt Hood area

Post by Chip Down » June 10th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Yeah, maybe a little early for the full loop, unless you like snow. Especially considering the bridgeless stream crossings can be tough.

Do you want a real developed campsite, with all the amenities?

Will you be car camping, or do you want to walk a mile to nice views and privacy where you can pitch a tent?

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 10th, 2018, 7:33 pm

There are a number of great campgrounds along Highway 26 (Still Creek, Trillium Lake, Clear Lake), but if you plan to grab a spot on a Friday or Saturday you'll have to look elsewhere as they always fill up. Any other day of the week you'll have better luck.

mulgravelad

Post by mulgravelad » June 11th, 2018, 5:18 am

Thanks for the replies.

Prefer away from RVs and an all amenities site is not a necessity. While I will have a car I am quite happy to hike in a ways to a good spot as I am pretty well set up for that given I was originally planning a multiday hike.

We fly into Portland on Thursday so locked into starting out for Mt Hood area on Friday. Thanks for the tip re Clear Lake etc being busy over weekends, will look for alternatives.

Guy

Post by Guy » June 11th, 2018, 5:31 am

If you don't need Hot water and showers I'd suggest the campgrounds in the Old Maid flats area such as McNeil which rarely fills up.

https://goo.gl/maps/CLeFAAqWhxG2

Close to many trail heads and only a few miles from 26 if you want to stock up on supplies or go out to dinner.

The loop may not be open but there a multiple high hikes you can do if you would like to walk on some snow. McNeil Shelter / Bald Mt. & Vista ridge should both be reachable.

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 11th, 2018, 5:35 am

McNeil is surprisingly close and not busy compared to other campgrounds, still some RVs. There is some nice hiking up the Zigzag ridge and over to Ramona Falls and up Yocum Ridge, although at some point you'll run into snow.

There are a number of campgrounds on the east side that are not too busy. Bonney Crossing - zero RVs because of road. 8 Mile Crossing. Pebbleford.

Tilley Jane is right up on the mountain. Not too busy because the road is a bit difficult.

mulgravelad

Post by mulgravelad » June 11th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. You can't beat local knowledge when going into an unknown area. There just seems so much on offer you don't know where to start. Really appreciate the generosity of all. I will look into the leads you have all given me and plan accordingly. Getting excited now. :)

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » June 11th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Also, the Salmon River Trail is about 15 miles west of Government Camp. You can park at the bridge near the end of the road (the main trailhead), hike up river, and find a number of campsites along the river between 1 and 3 miles from the trailhead. Gets busy on Friday/Saturday, but there's also quite a few sites.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 11th, 2018, 8:49 pm

I almost feel weird revealing one of my "secrets", but it's a developed area on a paved road, and well known...it's just that it's overlooked in the summer.

From Hwy 35 (the main highway on the east side of hood) take the exit towards Meadows ski resort. Drive as far as you can and park (the road is gated, so you won't be able to use the parking lot). Advantages: high start, amazing scenery right from the start, water everywhere. Disadvantages: You have to start out with a trashed part of the mountain that has been ravaged by the ski industry. It's a bit of a buzzkill. But you'll soon leave that behind, and there are countless scenic campsites nearby (undeveloped campsites, find your own).

Other high starts are at Timberline Lodge (crowded, touristy), and Cloudcap (opens late, almost certainly will be gated).

As much as I love high-altitude terrain, I should post a caveat: Ever been so high on a mountain that it starts to lose its character? When you get to the point that the immediate surroundings dominate, and you no longer get the big picture, the mountain can paradoxically feel smaller. I love that, but some people prefer the view from a distance.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 12th, 2018, 7:49 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 8:49 pm
I almost feel weird revealing one of my "secrets", but it's a developed area on a paved road, and well known...it's just that it's overlooked in the summer.

From Hwy 35 (the main highway on the east side of hood) take the exit towards Meadows ski resort. Drive as far as you can and park (the road is gated, so you won't be able to use the parking lot). Advantages: high start, amazing scenery right from the start, water everywhere. Disadvantages: You have to start out with a trashed part of the mountain that has been ravaged by the ski industry. It's a bit of a buzzkill. But you'll soon leave that behind, and there are countless scenic campsites nearby (undeveloped campsites, find your own).

Other high starts are at Timberline Lodge (crowded, touristy), and Cloudcap (opens late, almost certainly will be gated).

As much as I love high-altitude terrain, I should post a caveat: Ever been so high on a mountain that it starts to lose its character? When you get to the point that the immediate surroundings dominate, and you no longer get the big picture, the mountain can paradoxically feel smaller. I love that, but some people prefer the view from a distance.
After climbing Mt Rainier, John Muir expressed his opinion that big mountains are best enjoyed from a distance to appreciate their beauty, as opposed to climbing them. Interesting perspective that I share and agree with a lot.