Road to Silver Star North trailhead

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
romann

Road to Silver Star North trailhead

Post by romann » June 6th, 2018, 12:37 am

Does anyone know if the road to Silver Star North trailhead have been repaired/improved (the last steep 4 miles)? I heard they were going to re-grade it in the fall of 2017, but can't find anything saying the work was done?

Webfoot

Re: Road to Silver Star North trailhead

Post by Webfoot » June 6th, 2018, 1:13 am

If it has been improved USFS doesn't seem to know about it.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gifford ... ecid=74204
Forest Road 4109

Forest Road connection off Forest Road 41 to Silver Star Trailhead.

Current Conditions: 4/26/2018: Recommended for High clearance vehicles only. Road is rough and in bad shape.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 6th, 2018, 5:25 am

Nope, it's still bad. There was a discussion about this in the Portland Hikers Facebook group and that road is worse than ever. As I said over on that discussion, my theory is that the Forest Service deliberately doesn't maintain it in order to keep the crowds down. It's already a mob scene up there in summer and they probably don't want even more people up there, which is what would happen with better road access. Besides, I've had numerous FS people in different forests tell me that their road budget is nowhere near what it used to be back in the day.

These days, the Grouse Vista Trailhead is your best bet.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 6th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Maybe the USFS is getting a kickback from WA DNR from all the Discover Pass fees. :roll:

romann

Post by romann » June 6th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Thanks! Pretty much what we expected, since I haven't seen anything to the contrary in recent TRs ;)

There was a talk last year that road repair would be financed by new clearcuts; if that doesn't happen I'm more than fine with slower/longer approach to Silver Star.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 6th, 2018, 8:31 pm

There are adults reading this who were in diapers the last time I was up there. Still, some thoughts:

A couple weeks ago, I spoke with somebody who saw an Audi sedan parked at the TH. So I guess if you're brave/crazy/stupid enough, you can get there in anything.

I recently got a late start at Grouse, hiked to the top of Sturgeon, down to the bottom of Ed's, back up, a side trip down Chinook to viewpoints, over a bit on Bluff, up to SS, to Indian Pits, back via the back side of Pyramid, then past the TH going the other way on Tarbell a ways, and still got home by sunset. And I'm a chubby middle aged desk jockey who drinks excessively while hiking :D . So...yeah, the N trailhead has its advantages, to be sure, but the SS area is so compact that any TH isn't that bad.
justpeachy wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 5:25 am
...my theory is that the Forest Service deliberately doesn't maintain it in order to keep the crowds down...
It is pretty crowded up there. Still, that strategy stands in contrast to the norm: Extract tax dollars, develop an area, complain it's too crowded, spend more tax dollars to decommission improvements, and/or implement a byzantine program of fees/permits/sanctions to reduce access to public land, rinse and repeat.
romann wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 2:17 pm
There was a talk last year that road repair would be financed by new clearcuts
Does that ever happen, anywhere? Although I'm extremely skeptical, my question isn't entirely rhetorical.

romann

Post by romann » June 6th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 8:31 pm
romann wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 2:17 pm
There was a talk last year that road repair would be financed by new clearcuts
Does that ever happen, anywhere? Although I'm extremely skeptical, my question isn't entirely rhetorical.
"Clearcut" part certainly happens more often than accompanying "road fix" part. Still, I'd rather see neither part happening, than have a nice road running through wasteland (for example, that nice gravel road toward SS from Dole Valley Rd, going through DNR land).

I like someone's idea on Facebook PH group about doing some crowdfunding and renting a grader. Though the FS would never allow DIY repair like that.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 12th, 2018, 6:08 pm

romann wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 11:56 pm
I like someone's idea on Facebook PH group about doing some crowdfunding and renting a grader. Though the FS would never allow DIY repair like that.
You know what they say, it's better to seek forgiveness than permission. ;)

bghiker

Post by bghiker » June 13th, 2018, 12:08 am

I've only hiked from Grouse Vista and I usually hike during the week. The road is pretty good and I rarely find the trail crowded. I hike there a lot because the trailhead is only about a half hour from my house. Having said that, I haven't been there yet this year...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 13th, 2018, 6:20 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 8:31 pm
I recently got a late start at Grouse, hiked to the top of Sturgeon, down to the bottom of Ed's, back up, a side trip down Chinook to viewpoints, over a bit on Bluff, up to SS, to Indian Pits, back via the back side of Pyramid, then past the TH going the other way on Tarbell a ways, and still got home by sunset. And I'm a chubby middle aged desk jockey who drinks excessively while hiking :D . So...yeah, the N trailhead has its advantages, to be sure, but the SS area is so compact that any TH isn't that bad.
THIS!!! ^^^

I will never understand the fascination with that north trailhead. Why, why, why??? :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...