Somewhat secluded mountain/gorge hike with good picnic spot to propose this weekend?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
cgibsong002

Somewhat secluded mountain/gorge hike with good picnic spot to propose this weekend?

Post by cgibsong002 » May 11th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Looking to propose this weekend. At least thinking about it if i can find the right spot. Girlfriend and i are already planning on a hike Sunday and the plan is to do something semi challenging (for us that's 4+ miles or a decent elevation). Within 2 hours of Portland. I know I'm not going to find anything totally magical and empty at the same time, but something less traveled enough that we can get a couple minutes alone and a spot where we can lay out a blanket and have a little picnic. Is going to be 90 this weekend so I'm not sure what that means for hikes around here. We wanted to do a mountain or gorge hike.

A month or so ago we did Hamilton mountain which was almost perfect. Ended up sitting up at the lookout for probably half an hour by ourselves but it was also very windy and a little cold up there. I'm new to the area so I'm not sure where to go that will be good weather, spot to sit, and somewhat private.

mjirving

Re: Somewhat secluded mountain/gorge hike with good picnic spot to propose this weekend?

Post by mjirving » May 11th, 2018, 9:33 pm

First of all...congrats! How exciting!

One idea I have is Wind Mountain which is just west of Dog Mountain. About 1/2 way up there is a spur trail that goes to a pretty nice viewpoint that has some space for a picnic and is off the main trail so a bit more private. Wind Mtn is not super popular anyway too which helps. (Of course with the permits on Dog this year that might change??)

Of course, I'd aim to go as early as possible as I don't run into people on even the most popular hikes if I go early enough (which makes for cooler temps, prettier lighting and morning birds and calmer winds)

Here is a link to my hike on Wind last year so you can see what it looks like. You can see the spur trail on the GPS track. It's a little steep to get down to it...not sketchy at all, but does require a bit of effort.

That's one idea anyway. The meadow past the summit of Wygant Peak that I just did last Sunday is another pretty private spot as it's not a super popular hike and the meadow is actually past the end of the trail after the summit (down the use trail a tenth of a mile). The meadow is not flat, but not steep either, so it could work, but might be farther than you want to go? The meadow is grassy, so a blanket to sit on would be nice...again, not perfectly flat though.

Here is my link to Wind...
https://goaltechhikes.blogspot.com/2017 ... -1907.html

You can see the Wygant report in the current trip report thread on this site as it was just posted yesterday.

I'm sure there are other great spots...but those two come to mind for being potentially, relatively private opportunities with views.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Mike

squidvicious

Re: Somewhat secluded mountain/gorge hike with good picnic spot to propose this weekend?

Post by squidvicious » May 12th, 2018, 7:21 am

Possibly this?
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Dry_Creek_Hike
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/dry-creek-2

Last time I was there was a holiday weekend, 4th of July or something, and even then I only saw a couple of people. I haven't been lately so I can't speak to trail conditions, but wta.org has a fairly recent trip report. Justpeachy's TR from last year has great pics and a video to give you an idea https://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/view ... =8&t=25526

It's probably a little longer than you said if you go the whole length the field guide lists, but it's almost all flat. If you do go that whole length, at the end is a nice creekside area you can sit that will almost certainly have some privacy. BUT as noted in the guide, that does require crossing a creek first. I had no difficulty rock-hopping when I went, but it's probably higher now and more difficult now.

If you don't want to go that far, there are a few places you can access the creek along the way--though not as many as you'd hope. The side trails signed as horse bypass will take you down. You could scout spots along the way and then hit one on the return.

maobie15

Post by maobie15 » May 12th, 2018, 8:25 am

YAY! Congrats to you!!!!

A few ideas:

Saddle Mountain out near towards the Coast. On the weekends, it can be a TOTAL zoo, but I've been for both sunrise and sunset and had the place entirely to myself (and my group). There's also a picnic table at the top for your picnic.

Hardy Ridge up near Hamilton Mountain. It has some good views and it doesn't seem to get as busy as Hamilton. Usually decent wildflowers.

I think the Wind Mountain suggestion is a good one, however, it has gotten quite a bit busier. But it has great views and is short and steep!

Lost Lake just opened for the season. I doubt the hike up to the Butte would be snow free, but there are at least beautiful views of Mt. Hood on the trail around the lake. Bonus if you could get out on a kayak or something and propose on the water!

And, for what it's worth, I always thought I wanted it to be just my husband and I when he proposed and I had told him that previously. He popped the question on the summit of Mt. St. Helens and there were other people around. He tried to get me to an area off by ourselves, but I didn't want to leave the top. However, other people took a photo of us (he asked them) and some other people had brought up champagne to celebrate the summit and offered us some. So the other people around also made it a little more magical.

Good luck!
Follow me on Instagram: meg.john815

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” –Albert Einstein

cgibsong002

Post by cgibsong002 » May 12th, 2018, 8:27 am

mjirving wrote:
May 11th, 2018, 9:33 pm
First of all...congrats! How exciting!

One idea I have is Wind Mountain which is just west of Dog Mountain. About 1/2 way up there is a spur trail that goes to a pretty nice viewpoint that has some space for a picnic and is off the main trail so a bit more private. Wind Mtn is not super popular anyway too which helps. (Of course with the permits on Dog this year that might change??)

Of course, I'd aim to go as early as possible as I don't run into people on even the most popular hikes if I go early enough (which makes for cooler temps, prettier lighting and morning birds and calmer winds)

Here is a link to my hike on Wind last year so you can see what it looks like. You can see the spur trail on the GPS track. It's a little steep to get down to it...not sketchy at all, but does require a bit of effort.

That's one idea anyway. The meadow past the summit of Wygant Peak that I just did last Sunday is another pretty private spot as it's not a super popular hike and the meadow is actually past the end of the trail after the summit (down the use trail a tenth of a mile). The meadow is not flat, but not steep either, so it could work, but might be farther than you want to go? The meadow is grassy, so a blanket to sit on would be nice...again, not perfectly flat though.

Here is my link to Wind...
https://goaltechhikes.blogspot.com/2017 ... -1907.html

You can see the Wygant report in the current trip report thread on this site as it was just posted yesterday.

I'm sure there are other great spots...but those two come to mind for being potentially, relatively private opportunities with views.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Mike
Wygant Peak might be more in line with what i was looking for with that great view and meadow at the top. How big of an issue was the trail condition? I saw in your report you were pleasantly surprised, but is it still kind of 'too natural' to be a good romantic hike? Nothing like a face full of cobwebs to start it out. And is there any concern of poison oak or other issues at the meadow?

cgibsong002

Post by cgibsong002 » May 12th, 2018, 8:35 am

maobie15 wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 8:25 am
YAY! Congrats to you!!!!

A few ideas:

Saddle Mountain out near towards the Coast. On the weekends, it can be a TOTAL zoo, but I've been for both sunrise and sunset and had the place entirely to myself (and my group). There's also a picnic table at the top for your picnic.

Hardy Ridge up near Hamilton Mountain. It has some good views and it doesn't seem to get as busy as Hamilton. Usually decent wildflowers.

I think the Wind Mountain suggestion is a good one, however, it has gotten quite a bit busier. But it has great views and is short and steep!

Lost Lake just opened for the season. I doubt the hike up to the Butte would be snow free, but there are at least beautiful views of Mt. Hood on the trail around the lake. Bonus if you could get out on a kayak or something and propose on the water!

And, for what it's worth, I always thought I wanted it to be just my husband and I when he proposed and I had told him that previously. He popped the question on the summit of Mt. St. Helens and there were other people around. He tried to get me to an area off by ourselves, but I didn't want to leave the top. However, other people took a photo of us (he asked them) and some other people had brought up champagne to celebrate the summit and offered us some. So the other people around also made it a little more magical.

Good luck!
I would love to do something like Saddle mountain, being new to the area, since i know there's so many great reports on it. How early do you think i would need to go to be alone, or mostly? It's about an hour and a half drive there so I'm not sure how early i can convince her to get going haha.

Also i can't believe the variety of wildflower from the wygant Peak trip report. So anything with flowers like that and a great view she would love.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 12th, 2018, 9:45 am

In my opinion, anything later than starting at dawn would be a zoo for Saddle as it’s a VERY popular hike.

The conditions at Wygant are very very good. My cobweb comment was very inconsequential. I never even “saw” one, just felt a few that I broke through on the way up, like single strands.

There is some poison oak on the lower parts, but it’s avoidable and not hanging over the trail. Wearing pants would not be a bad idea or at least scrub well upon getting home with soap to be sure any oils are removed. There is none of note on the top or meadow that I noticed. Beware that there are only 13 parking spots so I’d get there as early as possible, not so much for the crowds, but to get a parking spot.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 12th, 2018, 9:47 am

And again, I want to be very clear that the meadow is not flat. It’s not steep either. It’s certainly a picnicable site as long as you don’t mind being on a bit of a slope. The summit is flat that is nearby, but no real view there.

cgibsong002

Post by cgibsong002 » May 12th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Yeah i saw pictures of the summit that weren't really anything. Seems like the real destination is the meadow you showed. Also, i just about broke both my thumbs an hour ago. Is there any real scrambling involved in the hike or is it fairly moderate?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 12th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Yikes. That’s not good! Nothing even remotely close to scrambling. Not even anything I’d call steep even. A very gradual/easy trail all the way up and to the meadow. There are a couple very short steeper parts for like 10 feet, just to get around some old blowdown remnants but even those are relatively easy.