Somewhat secluded mountain/gorge hike with good picnic spot to propose this weekend?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
mjirving

Re: Somewhat secluded mountain/gorge hike with good picnic spot to propose this weekend?

Post by mjirving » May 12th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Someone just commented on my trip report listed here on the site who thought the poison oak situation was more daunting than I did. So fair warning on that if you’re super sensitive or anxious about poison oak. You’re definitely not having to swashbuckle through it, but it is there on the side of the trail in several places on the lower portions of the trail.

cgibsong002

Re: Somewhat secluded mountain/gorge hike with good picnic spot to propose this weekend?

Post by cgibsong002 » May 12th, 2018, 6:19 pm

So I've talked with her about it, of course she doesn't know the real plans, but i think we're doing saddle mountain and our plan is to get there by sunrise. That way the hike is a bit shorter, and we can head to the coast to celebrate afterwards. It seems like the summit is a nice place to sit as well along with the view.

Anyone disagree, or have any suggestions or tips if we're doing that hike?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 12th, 2018, 6:27 pm

I like it. My only recommendation would be to consider a dawn start for sunrise on top. More private and more epic. But either way is awesome.

Dawn tomorrow is at 5:09 am. :-)
(When it’s light enough to see to hike)
Sunrise is 5:43

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » May 13th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I suppose it's a bit late to weigh in, but apparently the weather was spectacular this morning. I think it was a great idea.
- Michael

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » May 15th, 2018, 7:56 am

update?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 15th, 2018, 9:51 am

no update?

she must have said no :twisted:

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 19th, 2018, 6:06 am

retired jerry wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 9:51 am
no update?

she must have said no :twisted:
She could have said yes and they went off to celebrate.... Or maybe eloped! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

cgibsong002

Post by cgibsong002 » May 23rd, 2018, 12:33 pm

She said no :cry:
Last edited by cgibsong002 on May 23rd, 2018, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgibsong002

Post by cgibsong002 » May 23rd, 2018, 12:39 pm

Just kidding she said yes! It went great. We didn't make it to the top for sunrise of course. Was a pretty challenging hike at the end there. I think we made it to the top by about 8:30 and were the only ones there. Had time to sit and eat for a while on the summit before going off on the little meadow/hill outside the railing. A little windy and some bugs but it was too beautiful to matter. We ended up hanging out up there for a couple hours and not a single person came our way. When we left there was probably 50 people at the summit.

Everything didn't go exactly as planned but in the end she said it was incredible and couldn't have imagined a more amazing place. Will definitely be lots of fun to go back again in the future. And yeah, we napped for about 4 hours after we got home and had a bottle of wine 😁

drm

Post by drm » May 23rd, 2018, 12:50 pm

Such a joker. :lol: