ISO: "boring" hikes

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
squidvicious

ISO: "boring" hikes

Post by squidvicious » April 29th, 2018, 10:32 am

I'm fortunate to be able to hike often on weekdays. But sometimes I do need to go out on weekends with the crowds. Even trying to hit "second tier" trails [relatively] early, I often find myself leaving more stressed than I started out. And with gorge closures concentrating people in fewer places this year, I expect that to get worse.

On weekends I don't much care where I go. Waterfalls, views, flowers, whatever can wait for a weekday. I just need exercise and something like a little taste of solitude in nature--and that's a flexible definition of nature. Road noise, clearcuts, power lines, old roadbeds, etc can all work for me, as long as there's trees and dirt about somewhere.

I'd like to keep a ready list of "boring" hikes--the places where, given a nice summer weekend, people who have the opportunity to go anywhere else, will. For example, the trails at Powell Butte always seem to have more people during the week than weekends. Cascade Locks to Herman Creek Bridge was a go-to Sunday walk before the fire, with hardly any people once you got past Dry Creek Falls. Dry Creek trail in the Trapper Creek Wilderness area and Salmon Butte have also worked out for me on otherwise busy weekends.

My criteria:
  • I can leave my house in Troutdale by around 8, and I need to be back by 3:30. Return time is not flexible, so drive and hiking time has to fit comfortably within that window. I'm not a particularly fast hiker.
  • I'm open to just about any length or elevation gain that fits the time constraints. I'd ultimately like to have a good variety of near/far, long/short, hard/easy options. Even things like the Cazadero Trail that are more walks than hikes--sometimes that's just the ticket.
  • Trailhead needs to be accessible to a Ford Focus
  • I overheat at the drop of a hat, so I usually avoid things that are in direct sun the whole time. Fortunately never leaving tree cover is the exact definition of a boring hike for a lot of people
  • Things that aren't currently accessible are fine, since this is a long-term list, but please do mention any seasonal restrictions.
If you have a thought you'd prefer not to post, please feel free to PM. I hike alone, I'm not on social media, and I don't know anyone who hikes, so your secret is safe with me.

BigBear

Re: ISO: "boring" hikes

Post by BigBear » April 30th, 2018, 11:30 am

Since you live in Troutdale, the obvious suggestion would be to drive up Larch Mtn. and explore those gated logging roads on the south side of the road. Looking at the USDA closure map, only sections to the north appear to be in the closure zone.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 6th, 2018, 3:35 am

I'm in Troutdale too. Are you willing to scout leads that I haven't hiked myself? Sometimes I wonder how far a path goes without getting around to checking it myself. When I come across something like that I could pass it your way, and in return you could let me know if/where it goes.

How much solitude are you seeking? I need to understand why "[you] often find [your]self leaving more stressed than [you] started out."

Do you drive your Focus on bumpy National Forrest roads or keep to pavement and well graded gravel?

drm

Post by drm » June 6th, 2018, 5:53 am

I would think Augspurger Mtn, from the Dog Mtn trailhead, would qualify, especially past the Dog Mtn turnoff. Bad news: there is a nice viewpoint when you reach the top of the ridge. :lol: I would add that I rarely bother to go to the end. I usually stop somewhere along the ridge.

Another option might be the Falls Creek trail, as opposed to Falls Creek Falls. Few people take the non-falls option and fewer go past the point where it passes near the top of the falls.

Odd that both of these share a trailhead with an extremely popular hike, but once the flowers are well past, parking should (hopefully!) not be a problem at Dog Mtn, even on weekends.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » June 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm

We hiked Observation Peak via Big Hollow today, left Troutdale and 8 am and back by 3:30 pm. Saw one person at the top. It was raining, but I've never seen a crowd in Trapper Creek Wilderness on any of the trails we've done. Only an hour drive from Troutdale. Nice old growth forest.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 15th, 2018, 9:13 am

Well at least PCT from Cascade Locks is back on the list. Sort of--I expect it will be a good long while before that qualifies as a quiet weekend, or even weekday, hike again.
drm wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 5:53 am
Another option might be the Falls Creek trail, as opposed to Falls Creek Falls. Few people take the non-falls option and fewer go past the point where it passes near the top of the falls.
The upper trail is definitely great, and personally notable for being the only place I've ever actually seen a pika (as opposed to people standing around pointing to where the pika was two seconds before I stepped up). But yeah, getting to it on the weekend would be an issue. I've seen the parking lot approaching full just during the week, and encountering "traffic" while weaving along the potholed obstacle course of a road when I'm already blinded by the dappled sun just sounds unfun--that's a better weekday choice for me. But the fact that Falls Creek Falls is there and so popular means nearby options get less attention, which is nice in its own way.