Question on Illinois River Trail (Kalmiopsis)

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
cunningkeith

Question on Illinois River Trail (Kalmiopsis)

Post by cunningkeith » April 15th, 2018, 9:54 pm

So, like everybody, my group is looking for an early-season hike. We were originally shooting for the Trans-Kalmiopsis in SW Oregon, but there's still too much snow. So . . . now we're thinking about the Illinois River Trail, which is on the norther end of the Kalmiopsis. Because it is lower in elevation, it is open earlier.

But . . . I hate ticks. Here's my question: what do you think the tick situation would be on the Illinois River Trail this time of year (April)? I've heard that they can be bad on the Rogue River Trail, which is close by. There haven't been many similar reports on the Illinois, and I'm wondering if that is just b/c there's less info on the Illinois or because the Rogue is a nicer place for ticks for some reason.

Thanks for any thoughts!

retired jerry

Re: Question on Illinois River Trail (Kalmiopsis)

Post by retired jerry » April 16th, 2018, 1:33 pm

I did the west end of the Illinois River Trail a few years ago. Similar to the Rogue. I didn't get to the part where the trail goes to higher elevations.

I would think ticks would be similar to the west end of the Rogue River trail. I got a couple ticks there a couple months ago. So, I would think there would also be ticks on the Illinois.

On the other hand, there wasn't a lot of brush across the Illinois trail so there may be fewer ticks climbing onto you. I got the ticks on the wild Rogue loop where there is more brush.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 16th, 2018, 3:40 pm

The Illinois trail between Briggs and Pine Flat is well used and clear. From Pine to Baldy it's mostly brush free. Expect brush and a few ticks from Baldy down to Silver Creek. There's trail damage north of Silver but trail from there to Oak Flat was brushed 1-2 years ago.

cunningkeith

Post by cunningkeith » April 16th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Okay, thanks. I'd guess that the two rivers would be similar on this issue. FYI, I heard from somebody who was down there a few weeks ago. He was doing work at the Shorty Noble House, which is on the Illinois, several miles from Briggs Creek (close to Pine Flat). He said that it's a great spot but that the ticks, snakes, and poison oak were well represented.

drm

Post by drm » April 18th, 2018, 8:56 am

You might consider going north to the Olympics to avoid ticks. Never seen them there. The lower valleys should be snow free. Now rain free - that's another challenge, though it looks like the coming dry spell will reach there, if not the sunshine.