In Search of...

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Whitelegs&Redneck

In Search of...

Post by Whitelegs&Redneck » April 10th, 2018, 6:04 am

Every year I try to take a 3-day backpack trip near the end of July with some friends. Last year we tackled Timberline Trail Loop.

I am in search of ideas for another 40-50 mile, 3-day trip somewhere in the northwest.
We are currently considering something in the Olympics, a section of PCT, or ???

Does anyone have any suggestions? A loop is preferred due to transportation but it does not have to be...

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

adamschneider

Re: In Search of...

Post by adamschneider » April 10th, 2018, 8:53 am

If you're willing to go WAY north, there's the 35-mile Copper Ridge Loop in North Cascades National Park.

For something a bit more leisurely, there's the 18-mile High Divide Loop in the Olympics.

(Both of these would require backcountry permits from the NPS.)

Closer to Portland, and with no red tape, you could circumnavigate either the Three Sisters or just South Sister.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 10th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Another one that is a bit of a drive, but is a pretty cool trip - the Devil's Dome Loop. It is almost to Canada, but is a neat loop:

http://hktreks.com/index.php/2017/09/30 ... oop-day-1/

It is tough, but you go thru some incredibly interesting areas and get to see two mountains from 3 sides (the trip is basically making a large traverse around them).
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Whitelegs&Redneck

Post by Whitelegs&Redneck » April 11th, 2018, 6:22 am

Thank you both for the suggestions. North Cascade NP may be a bit far of a drive for right now, but the loop looks amazing. I really want to get to the Olympics and may try the loop above and maybe a few out and backs. I love the thought of seeing all the wildlife. That was something we just don't see on the Timberline Trail loop.

I am also thinking about Timberline lodge to Olallie Lake on the PCT. this would require some shuttling. Sounds like we won't see amazing views but a nice section nonetheless.

I also heard the Sisters loop is pretty uneventful unless you take time to get to some lakes or summit the South.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

drm

Post by drm » April 11th, 2018, 3:05 pm

You've always got the loop around Mt St Helens close by. A little easier than Timberline in terms of miles and EG, but a rougher trail in spots.